Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Ive just done a round trip to work and back (1600 miles, long story) and ive used almost all the oil! I cant remember off hand how many liters of oil it is to the maximum line, but when i made it back the oils pressure warning came on the dash.

Shes only done 57000 so i was a bit surprised. Ive got no marks on the drive suggesting a leak and no blue smoke out the exhaust.

Does this comsumption sound normal?

Thanks

Andi

·
0 Posts
Is a litre between marks IIRC - did you check the level before leaving on your huge commute?

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
They can use up to 1 litre every 1000 miles according to the handbook.

Its best to check it every week or every 300 miles or so as running low quite often ruins the big end bearings.

The light coming on is not a good sign. :(

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
The TS & JTS engines can use a litre of oil every 1000 miles.

Top it up before you start the engine again and check it regularly.

T

·
0 Posts
My GT has drunk 5 litres of Selenia Racing in 8,000 miles. I check the oil weekly.

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
as the rest ... check the oil every week :)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My consumption dropped dramatically after changing from 10W-40 to a 0W-50 synthetic. worth a try. Thought 10W-60 (which is actually recommended for the JTS) would be a bit too thick, so tried to find a middle ground so a good 5W50 should prob do the trick for you.
Now that the head is coming off my car to replace the head gasket, going to get the valve stem seals done too to see if that helps some more. This is the result of some buffoon mixing anti-freeze types at some point in the cars history. What a saga . . . . .

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I used 10/60 Selenia Racing and oil consumption was minimal (by the standards or the engine).

I think most Alfa engines have an ethos of perpetual oil changes though (not the new GM based units though).

·
Registered
200 Posts
i have swapped ocer a couple of months ago from 10w 40 to 10w-60 and the consumption has halved it was right on the 1l/1000 mark but now is around 1l/2000, still high i think but well within limits, if a old car used that much oil it was well @%&£ed

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
No JTS is better than TS as I have had a few .. just racked up 1200 miles and had checked the oil and topped it up before the run.. Just above min today when I checked it so one litre it used .. Not bad for what they are ... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts