Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JTS Spider really struggles at low cruising speeds. Alfa reckon the 2.0 JTS will pull from 30mph in 5th gear; mine isn't fully happy in 3rd, let alone 5th - I'd be Kangarooing all over the place, even in 4th. Does this sound normal? Any other JTS owners experience this problem/characteristic?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My wife's JTS 156 seems pretty happy pottering about at 30mph and less in 5th. I'm not sure about the 'pull' aspect. It will accelerate away in 5th from 30mph albeit fairly leisurely.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My JTS GTV has always been quite happy at 30mph in fifth, I often pull away from 30 without changing down. The only driveability issue I have is when crawling along with the engine doing about 1,500 revs (the changeover from lean-burn to stoichiometric point) when it kangaroos a bit. Alfa changed the inlet(?) camshaft in Apr 03 and again in Oct 04, my engine will have the first change.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My JTS GTV has always been quite happy at 30mph in fifth, I often pull away from 30 without changing down. The only driveability issue I have is when crawling along with the engine doing about 1,500 revs (the changeover from lean-burn to stoichiometric point) when it kangaroos a bit. Alfa changed the inlet(?) camshaft in Apr 03 and again in Oct 04, my engine will have the first change.
That's the issue really, the engine is revving very low at such speeds, so around 1500 rpm it's quite jerky, hence feeling like I need to be in a much lower gear. I used to think it was just me being used to a diesel, but guess it's a characteristic of the engine. Good point about the lean-burn/stoichio switch over, hadn't considered that before.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any normal road car should happily drive at 30 in fifth gear since this is the speed limit and you need to be in 5th for max mpg return.

M

·
0 Posts
Any normal road car should happily drive at 30 in fifth gear since this is the speed limit and you need to be in 5th for max mpg return.
That's not actually true. Our Beemer returns better fuel economy (going by the digi meter) in 4th at 30mph. Will be to do with torque and power curves and efficiency and rubbish like that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's not actually true. Our Beemer returns better fuel economy (going by the digi meter) in 4th at 30mph. Will be to do with torque and power curves and efficiency and rubbish like that.
Wouldnt expect anything better from a German car :thumbs: only joking but I am surprised.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update this thread, it turns out there was good reason for my driveability troubles. To cut a long story short, I also had oil and fuel consumption issues and on inspection the piston rings had failed quite badly! :wow: So I've only had my car back about a week, after it getting a full engine rebuild. The result? The kangarooing has gone! And my wallet is considerably less full :lol: All good now though, bring on summer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts