Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car seems to have developed a problem over the last week or so.

If I accelerate hard at low revs - foot to the floor at <2000rpm - The cars ‘stutters’ as it begins to pick up speed.

This afternoon while trying to demonstrate the problem to a friend it got so bad that I got a MCSF warning.

What could be causing the problem?

The car has covered 57,000 miles.

·
Vendor
46,591 Posts
Get down to Justin & get the code read, see what the ECU thinks is the problem. If I had to put my money down at this point I would guess poor mixture is whats causing the problems, so either lambda or MAF.. Coil packs are pretty robust and I'd imagine at 6 years old and knowing what I know about how well you service your cars I'd guess the plugs have already been changed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Coil Packs !
I've now replaced all 4 on my JTS over the last 3 years , from 60000 to 115000 miles. The bad ones only allowed running on 3 cylinders when they gave up ,the other 2 made themselves known by intermittent misfires.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get down to Justin & get the code read...
Did that...

But he hit 'delete' instead of 'read' so I'll have to go back again when the fault reoccurs.

·
Vendor
46,591 Posts
Well, with any luck it will not re-occur.. How is it driving since being reset? Fuel economy & performance feel about right?

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I 'made' the fault reoccur last night. The MCSF message came on and disappeared after about 10 seconds.

Went back to see Jus today and there was no fault to read so it must have reset itself? :confused:

Gonna change the plugs (along with the belts and tensioners) in a couple of weeks and see what happens.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How is it driving since being reset? Fuel economy & performance feel about right?
It felt like a flying machine last night.

I've noticed that the fuel economy has dropped by 2-3 MPG over the last few weeks.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:confused:

·
Registered
144 Posts
It wont be yer plugs, but its definately coil packs. just change all 4 and you will notice the difference. mine packed up at 52k

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It wont be yer plugs, but its definitely coil packs. just change all 4 and you will notice the difference. mine packed up at 52k
It's never had a set of plugs so I need to change them anyway.

Coil packs are about £50 each so I'll find out which one is causing the fault and replace it.

·
Vendor
46,591 Posts
Have you checked for air leaks between the MAF and the throttle body?

Other suggestion is the 2 24-pin connectors at the back of the engine (clean and refit)...
Two very good suggestions as well..

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you checked for air leaks between the MAF and the throttle body?

Other suggestion is the 2 24-pin connectors at the back of the engine (clean and refit)...
No.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The pins are the back of the engine bay are well documented by now. A good cleaning usually does the job. I have come back with throttle errors from bad connections in this plug.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do I use to clean them? WD40?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I used electrical spray and dismantled the plug a bit to clean as much as possible, others have soldered all the pin required, but I didnt find this neccessay.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Replaced the plugs yesterday - the misfire seems to have gone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts