Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Giulietta 2.0 veloce has a clunky gearbox. I've had it 2 years now and there's always been a bit of a clunk but I didn't really want to open a can of worms as its out of warranty and I've been able to live with it for the last 20k miles. However recently it seems to be getting a bit worse.

It's definitely worse when warm. At The start of the journey it's pretty quiet but by the end of my journey to work (about 30mins on the motorway) it's clunking. It happens in all gears but worse when changing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, and the noise decreases as the gears go up - 6th is pretty much silent. I've never noticed it when downshifting.

I've noticed that each gear Change consists of three clunks. One when moving the stick out of the gear, another when engaging the next gear and finally another when engaging the clutch. There's also sometimes a slight clunk if I lift off and apply the throttle again when driving normally.

Apart from the noise all gears engage easily. It's done 46k now.

Anyone else had this?

Many thanks

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Coul;d also be a clutch/DMF issue.

Mine certainly doesn't clunk and it had done nearly 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gearbox mounts did cross my mind, but I wouldn't think they would get that much noisier when the car warms up, still worth a look though.

DMF/clutch is what I'm thinking atm, would one (or both) cause a noise when engaging a gear even with the clutch in?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There was a known issue with the early gearboxes that wouldn't go into first gear but your model year should'nt have had the problem so I think this might be a one off?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts