Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies to those who think I should put this in the "Gearbox woes" thread - but that is SUCH a long one & seems to have beem Troll-Infected/Infested.....

(Come-on, you Moderators - do yer stuff & get rid of such Skoda-loving TWITS !:lol:)

But I gleaned somewhere on here (maybe the above thread , lol ) that that the BEST Gearbox Oil for me is:-

CASTROL UNIVERSAL 75 w ~ 90 API GL4 / API GL5

I hope others agree with this ( As I've bought 2l of it.....:) )

My problem is - Draining -off the Old Oil - Seems to be very Easy & Obvious..... BUT

? ? How & Where do you put the new Oil in ? Where ? ? :confused:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Did this on saturday, not fun (have the scars on my hand to prove it).

The fill plug is located on the top of the gearbox at the rear, right above the diff. both plugs are a 12mm Hex key to remove but both are tight! there is also very little access to get to the filler as the brake lines and various hoses, cables and pipes get in the way.

To Remove the plug I used a standard sized 1/4in drive socket spanner + 12mm sump plug key socket, I then positioned the handle under the brake cable with the Handle pointing directly at the passenger road wheel. Then i used a 2foot lenght of wooden battening (2"by 1") and hit it with a lump hammer. Once the plug was loosened I was able to slowly remove it.

Filling it back up is tricky too. The castrol doesn't have a long filler tube. I had to use a 2 section funnel, place the extention piece into the filler hole and leave the top between the brake pipes and cables, then rest the funnel itself in the top of the tube.

The correct stuff is Castrol systrans multivehicle 75/90w API GL4 but it may have other names in other markets. Aslong as it says "Smooth shifts at low temperatures", it should be the right stuff.

Reactions: damo_mc

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
no, you bought the wrong oil.

the right oil is CASTROL SYNTRANS MULTIVEHICLE 75W90 API GL4

It's a different product from the one you listed, which is intended for rear axles. Mucht thicker when cold, and doesn't shift aswell. I know, we have both products in bulk at work.

I have the TCT, and the filler hole is on top of the gearbox

·
Registered
708 Posts
no, you bought the wrong oil.

the right oil is CASTROL SYNTRANS MULTIVEHICLE 75W90 API GL4

It's a different product from the one you listed, which is intended for rear axles. Mucht thicker when cold, and doesn't shift aswell. I know, we have both products in bulk at work.

I have the TCT, and the filler hole is on top of the gearbox

How much oil do you put in giuliettas?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the spirax is a bit heavier than the castrol mentioned above at extreme cold temperatures, but there's no reason it shouldn't work for our temperate climate, viscosity wise.

If you fnd the shifts are not smooth, you'll have to try another oil. but I advise you to look at the drain plug location first, before deciding what to do, or chance doing it twice..

·
Registered
407 Posts
I swear by NEO Platinum 75W90. Used it in my Giulietta (sold 6 months ago). Still use it in the 147 (for 15 years) and my Sud (new gearbox for 10years). No gear whine whatsoever in either. I also use it in my Guzzis. It provides a noticeably more free and fluid gear change. My two Bob's worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts