Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking of getting a new GT, but only drive automatic. Is the selespeed transmission still an option for the 2 litre GT ?
It's not mentioned on the Alfa UK website at all - has it been discontinued ?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
That's a shame - anybodt have any ideas as to why it might have been discontinued, particular problems with it etc ?
Dont know why its been discontinued - had mine for 2.5 years now and its been a pleasure to drive and own - the Selespeed has never missed a beat - no complaints here :D

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It may just be that Alfa UK stopped importing them, just like they didn't import any 2.5V6 156 after the 2003 facelift.

N

·
0 Posts
For some bizarre reason, selespeed has never sold well in the UK. I don't know why because I think its just fantastic:confused: , but there you go. They tried to pull the selespeed version of the 156GTA because only ten were sold. . . . They sell well in other countries.:rolleyes:
Neil

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The GT JTS Selespeed is still listed on the Alfa Romeo Ireland website, so it looks like RHD are still available.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
It may just be that Alfa UK stopped importing them, just like they didn't import any 2.5V6 156 after the 2003 facelift.
A very bizarre strategy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks for your input everyone, I'll check out the situation with the local dealers - nice to know there are no particular problems with it...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Likewise, mine's been fine for the 2.5 years I've owned the car. Didn't think I would like it at first, but now I really enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Many thanks for your input everyone, I'll check out the situation with the local dealers - nice to know there are no particular problems with it...
I mean, one of our fellow AOers is getting a Brera to the UAE, so a GT 2.0 SS to your neck of the woods shouldn't be a problem :)

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
The Selespeed on my GTA works fine and it's a pleasure to use :)

As an Automatic driver you can leave it in auto "City" mode, but you can still over-ride it whenever you want, to make up or down changes via the paddles or the sequential stick shift. Manual drivers like myself simply leave it in manual and drive on the paddles and/or stick shift. Either way it's a great system :cool:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I think Selespeed in this country suffered because people simply thought it'd go wrong or couldn't be bothered to adjust their driving style to it.

I remember when my dad first test-drove a 147 six years ago, it was a Selespeed. He hated it because he couldn't get the hang of it and I thought it was just something else that could go wrong whereas a manual wouldn't.

Sometimes we're not the most progressive thinkers in this country!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Selespeed on my GTA works fine and it's a pleasure to use :)

As an Automatic driver you can leave it in auto "City" mode, but you can still over-ride it whenever you want, to make up or down changes via the paddles or the sequential stick shift. Manual drivers like myself simply leave it in manual and drive on the paddles and/or stick shift. Either way it's a great system :cool:
I have not driven a selespeed, but have driven a couple of other cars with similar systems (not sports cars in any guise to be fair) and what really annoyed me was the delay before the gear change when you flip the paddle. Is Alfa selespeed more rapid ?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I have not driven a Selespeed, but have driven a couple of other cars with similar systems (not sports cars in any guise to be fair) and what really annoyed me was the delay before the gear change when you flip the paddle. Is Alfa Selespeed more rapid ?
I don't feel a delay at all.
Some of the other systems are just old style automatic slush boxes so will not be too sharp. I test drove a Lexus IS300 that was an auto with pushbuttons on the steering wheel and it was completely useless. You pushed the button and nothing happened for ages...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have not driven a selespeed, but have driven a couple of other cars with similar systems (not sports cars in any guise to be fair) and what really annoyed me was the delay before the gear change when you flip the paddle. Is Alfa selespeed more rapid ?
Once you get used to it, (you wont see the benefit on a short testdrive), the gear changes are as quick if not quicker than an manual, and they are always perfect changes, and with the sport mode any changes over 5k rpm are super fast and quite aggressive......but fun.

Highly recommended :D

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
What I liked about the SS is that even if you "mess it up" and forget to downshift (come on, it's happened to the best of us ;)), the system does it automatically when (I think) the revs have dropped too low. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts