Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi looking for some advice recently had the starter motor replaced by mobile mechanic. The previous day I bought a £40 battery charger as the car has been stood for a while during corona lockdown. The battery was slowed charged for maybe 10 hour from completely flat, not fully charged tho. Had a full service and mot no problems apart from a damaged sump plug and a headlight bulb. Drove for the next day maybe 60 miles. The next time I started the car start/stop unavailable and a check engine light appeared. DNA not available either but no error.

I'm hoping when I fully charge the battery the gremlins may disappear.

Any other thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

George

·
Registered
776 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll find it helpful; there’s loads of knowledgeable people on here.

You need to get the codes read to see whether there is an error. There are a number of threads about DNA & S/S not working - usually when both fail together it’s the connection to the neutral gear switch under the car.

But it may just be that the battery is below the 80% charge needed for S/S to work; it could also be that being a diesel it’s attempting to do a DPF regeneration, in which case S/S will be disabled until that’s finished.

If the battery was completely flat a charge is unlikely to restore it to full health, unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
While a low battery will certainly disable stop start this would not usually trigger the eml. I would imagine the eml is related to the loss of DNA and would agree you are searching in the dark until the codes are read, and by an Alfa specific system rather than a generic reader. A generic reader sometimes will give an explanation of the codes which is different to Alfa's use of them.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
If the battery was that flat after being stood I would put money on it being knackered now as they never fully recover. Especially if it’s a battery that is getting on a bit aswell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: ordering a genetic reader, but as easy as the error have appeared, upon starting yesterday the car has no faults and functions normally. Thanks for the info n I'll see what the future brings.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why order a generic reader that may not give you any useful information? MultiECUScan is only about £50 plus £20-£30 for adapter and cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts