Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,i am new to the forum and hope i am doing this right.
Just need to ask a few questions and hope that i will get some ideas...
I bought a 2.0 motor with 40 webers etc. and want to install this in a vw kombi. A guy in Parys fs did such a conversion a few years ago but he vanished from earth. Only have 2 or 3 pics taken from the side and above,he used the 1.9/2.1 bellhousing but struggled with the starter.
Does anybody have came across a 4cyl alfa in a kombi??

Adaptor and coversion centre in Pta said we can make a flywheel and use alfa ringear and starter and modify a bellhousing such as toyota etc. to fit the motor. My flywheel os a De dion and believe it won't work. one more question.. where do i send the carbs for a cleanup and kits? Where do one buy internal spares in SA as importers smoke us with current exchangerate.
Thanx guys,hope someone have some info..
Regards
Vic

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Vic. I've always loved classic Vw kombis and Alfas. Very interesting conversion.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Strange conversion Vic, the very high Alfa(Nord) motor wil use al the pack space at the back.

Decades ago I fitted a Ford v6 in the Combi and thought they where made for each other, even though the V6 could break the VW diffs(just like the V6 Alfas do) There were 2 conversions with the Ford engine. Using a VW flywheel on the engine and std gearbox, or Ford flywheel and use a specially cast bellhousing for this purpose, which is better as the v6 is not inherently in balance.

I didn't look at the set-up, but you can fit a VW size flywheel to the Alfa engine as a four cylinder is inherently in balance. You will loose torque below 2000 rpm due to the lighter flywheel, which will only bother at pull away. That mean the VW gearbox and bellhousing can be used as is, but it will of use if the VW starter bolt to the bellhousing(I refuse to know that much about a VW) or adaptor plate.

You don't seem to be a technical guy, then you could have bought a book on side draught webers and do it yourself. You can not go to the current Alfa dealers as they do not know a Weber carb from a Weber braai. That leave you with the old Alfa speciality shops, Turbo Nutters is the forum's resident tuner, but there a are also Brown, Signorelli and Andriata in Pretoria.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx so far guys,looks like i am going to have flywheel made and bellhousing modifyed to fit. Comes at a price but toys are expensive... will keep you posted!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Gilo engineering in booysens make adaptor kits . He does take a hole but work is very good . I would rather put a Scooby motor in and it would be cheaper in the end of the day .
Google for their details ,

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
There's also the 2.0 Golf conversions and the old Toyota Y series conversions which taxi guys used to do. Alfa parts are extremely expensive and if the replacement is to save costs, I'm not sure using this engine is the best way to go. Years ago, we replaced our 2.1 with a 3Y which came from a forklift and it was very reliable. We had to raise the engine cover though, which you can probably do with the Alfa engine as well. Ford V6 motors were more powerful, but their fuel consumption is terrible.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guys from syncro sa was trying to convince me to do the golf 2.0 conversion,they do it to al their busses so there are 100s of them. I'm not going that way. There where 2 alfa 4 cyl busses that we know of and i grew up with these iron motors,thats the reason why i am doing it. Apart from v6,it will be the best sounding bus on the road with 4cyl power out the old age. Hehe. Gilo told me they only do v6 adaptors for alfa so i made contact with adaptor & conversion centre in Pta. Taking the motor there to get flywheel and bellhousing manufactured within a month or so. Just looking for the bracket holding distributor in place and would like to let the webers checked and cleaned. Short one "wingnut" jet cover also and looking for a throtle mechanism to mate the cable to. Costs are steepish but surely ill enjoy it when done.
Thanx guys for the input and i will push on your button when i neeed advice on spares etc. Keep you posted.
Regards vic

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx Italover! I know this is not going to happen overnight. I am gathering the bits and pieces and want the carbs done by someone who knows them. Considdering removing the head to see what's going on inside as i dont know the history of the motor,hopefully it is in good condition.. otherwise what needs to be done,will be done. Does anyone have an idea of cost on overall of these motors if needed and if standard,what would you recomend should be done for safety sake. I believe i sound dumb but rather ask the pro's before i mess it up.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I remember Oom Davie had a gtv6 motor in his vw combi bakkie. They use to tow there race car with it. That was a mighty machine. I build a chev 2.5 motor in my Combi. Vic is this motor from a car with a de dion gearbox at the back. If so then there no spigot shaft hole in the crank and it wont work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O lordy,yes.. It came out a 116 gtv as far i know,flywheel have 3 long bolts sticking out where prop connects. Flywheel have a hole in middle and one can nearly put a hole pinky in there. Its still on the motor,so cant see the crank. Will try check tonight and reply. Eish,hope this isnt going to be a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oom Dawie started I nice restoration on the Kombi with the V6 in it . It should be finished already . I remember when they used to tow Glen Gibbons mighty TT with it .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jip, no hole there... Damn,i did not think of the hole for shaft and did not think that the cranks will differ. Ok,tothing will brake my speed with this conversion. So you guys say plan B is drill and plan c search for 105 crank?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I admire your perserverance in wanting to fit an Alfa motor.
Patience and time will see everything fall into place nicely.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hehe,thanx! I saw a tread on the forum just now,someone else had the same problem as i have now and he was warned.. If drilling,what should i tell the engineer. How big,how deep etc. If i can't source a 105 series crank. Already checked the net. No go.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts