Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm the proud owner of a 1992 @155 2.0 8v. The car itself gave me zero probs in the last 2 years, just a few auxiliaries are dieing on me... One of the connections in the wiper assembly gave out, so I think I'll replace that with one from a Volvo 440/460.

But what's puzzling me is... When I drive, at any speed really, the engine temp as reported on the dashboard drops to about 50 c, for sure in winter. Only in a traffic jam will the temp rise to 90-95 c and will the radiator fan kick in... In the summer I can get it up to 70 or so, but that's still low. The oil temp stays at about the same temperature.

I realise we're from all parts of the world here, but is this normal, or do I have a defect temperature valve? The car has always done this, since I have it...

Just wondering,
Cuore_sportivo_155

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Cuore_Sportivo_155 said:
But what's puzzling me is... When I drive, at any speed really, the engine temp as reported on the dashboard drops to about 50 c, for sure in winter. Only in a traffic jam will the temp rise to 90-95 c and will the radiator fan kick in... In the summer I can get it up to 70 or so, but that's still low. The oil temp stays at about the same temperature.
I won't be able to help you here however, as the proud owner of a 1996 155 1.8 TS I bought last october, I can attest of something similar.

Dashboard temp is about 50 to 60 c when driving in pretty much any condition. However in traffic jams, even when the outside temp is 5 c or so, the temp rises to approximately 90 c a bit too quickly for my taste. I hope this won't come back to bite me in the summer.

M

·
0 Posts
it'll be the thermostat that is away for both of you. The engine should sit at just below 90ºC.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
marlon said:
it'll be the thermostat that is away for both of you. The engine should sit at just below 90ºC.
Wow, just below 90 c? :eek: Indeed, the fan kicks in in that vicinity indeed, but the software engineer in me already screams when a CPU is in the 60 c... Idling in traffic jams at just below 90 c somehow doesn't seem natural. I haven't overclocked my car just yet! ;)

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Thermostat. You'll get better fuel economy too, as the engine isn't running on half-choke all the time.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ralf S. said:
Thermostat. You'll get better fuel economy too, as the engine isn't running on half-choke all the time.
Mmm... I've been able to get slightly less than 8l/100km, on long trips, temps around 70 c. Given the size of the engine and the perfs of the car, I thought that was pretty good. And given it's winter, and the ambiant temp is 5 to 7 c, given the speed limit (110 km/h), and that means ~ 3200 rpm in 5th gear, I think, I also thought it was fine.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The severely reduced mileage recently is the main reason I asked this question. But since the car has had this thermostat "problem" ever since I bought it, I guess I'm consuming more because I definitely drive faster since I have my new job.

ps: mileage went from 9 to 13 l/100km, average speed from 80 to 120 km/h

Cuore_sportivo_155

1 - 9 of 9 Posts