Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car in for because it was not engaging 1st from neutral after a short stop.

Its the typical problem. Gets ¾ of the way and you have to take the clutch out a way and it engages.

Alfa Benfield in newcastle flushed the box and said they had fixed it (ha ha).

I took it back a second time and the senior tech said "new gearbox".

I call a week later to get an update, having not been contacted and I have been told that they are replacing the flywheel.

Now I am no expert, but this is the wheel that sits between the engine and the clutch plate, so i can understand how it is related to the gearbox. But in all the threads about engaging 1st issues, i have never seen anybody mention the flywheel being replaced before.

Can someone she some light on this before I ring them back?

1.4 MA 170

Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They called.

I have been told that the dual mass flywheel is showing play and so the clutch plate is unable to engage properly.

They are replacing both, but they have been told that an assessor needs to ok it first. as it is a 1300-1400 quid fix. Not that this is my problem.

I am worried now that this problem is caused from the last owner ragging it.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Ah, AR!!! Many guys experienced this on different G models, mine was flushed, bled, flushed and an "arm" replaced, you know, anything cheap to sort the fix out.

But it still has this issue from time to time.

How can a new car have DMF or clutch issues?

·
Registered
402 Posts
They called.

I have been told that the dual mass flywheel is showing play and so the clutch plate is unable to engage properly.

They are replacing both, but they have been told that an assessor needs to ok it first. as it is a 1300-1400 quid fix. Not that this is my problem.

I am worried now that this problem is caused from the last owner ragging it.
Could be that the faulty flywheel is preventing the drive plate of the clutch from clearing totally when the pedal is depressed, resulting in some drag still imparting drive to the gearbox. It's a long time since I overhauled a gearbox but things can't have changed that much ? - the synchros are only there to allow the dog teeth to lock on a constant mesh box, it's the dog teeth not lining up for the synchro ring that usually causes the jamming. Mind you, when I was a mechanic they always had a man in the front with a red flag :lol:

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Clutch drag would present itself as the gerbox grinding when trying to engage specific gears. My 145 had this and in this case a new clutch was needed.

The problem with the Giulietta gearbox is the Syncro's. A clutch and/or flywheel change can never fix that.

My garage was going to do similar and replace the clutch to fix mine. I phoned the service manager and told them that this was a well documented problem and that the tech will be wasting their own time and money by just changing that (it is still under warrenty). After explaining this to them they accepted and are replacing the 1st gear syncro aswell.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding of the gearbox is minimal. So you think that the replacement of the flywheel and clutch plate is a waste of time? I assume the synchros are separate enough not to be effected by the clutch plate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is strange but 1st gear issue was solved by replacing of the gearbox oil with manual's tutela gearforce 75W. 1.4MA/2010

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was two years and 2 cars ago. Incidentally They flushed the oil, twice. It was a synchro issue in the end, plus a faulty flywheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts