Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about this for a while
As I haven't got that far with my suds rear wheel arches to stop me going "pimp my ride" with her, does anybody know if anyone has fitted 19 inch rims to a sud? I'm sure I've seen 17's on a sprint on you tube with standard arches.
Not only will it hopefully look pretty cool, it will also help with the gear ratio's (yes I know I will have to get the speedo recalibrated).
Am I right in thinking wheels from a 164 / 75 / 155 has also got a 4 stud 98 / 100 pcd pattern that would fit and would be more likely in this size?
Thanks
Harvey

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Been thinking about this for a while
As I haven't got that far with my suds rear wheel arches to stop me going "pimp my ride" with her, does anybody know if anyone has fitted 19 inch rims to a sud? I'm sure I've seen 17's on a sprint on you tube with standard arches.
Not only will it hopefully look pretty cool, it will also help with the gear ratio's (yes I know I will have to get the speedo recalibrated).
Am I right in thinking wheels from a 164 / 75 / 155 has also got a 4 stud 98 / 100 pcd pattern that would fit and would be more likely in this size?
Thanks
Harvey
The 164 Twinspark had 4 stud (V6 had 5) but don't know the PCD....
19s sound big for a Sud but if you've got to try it...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 164 Twinspark had 4 stud (V6 had 5) but don't know the PCD....
19s sound big for a Sud but if you've got to try it...
Problem is mine is all stripped - suspension at the power coaters, started to remove the underseal so won't be able to see if they would fit until all that has been striped and redone so I can try the wheels anyway :cry:
Did think though that it will cure the wheel spin in the lower gears and add to the top end cruzing:cool:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kev (have seen it before) but really need to find if 19's were even fited to 146 / 155 and hope I can pick up a single one off ebay to try. I am really no where near ready but at least if I put out feeler's out now I might be able to find something in the mean time.
Of course that will mean I will have to either sell the 14" monos I have already bought or put them on the sprint (and double the price of it:lol:)
Thanks again
Harvey

K

·
0 Posts
19's would never have been OE fitment on the 164, tyres that size weren't even made back then, aftermarket is your only option...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
car

Im sorry if i sound a bit rude but 19 inch wheels will look really stupid on a sud ti :mad:.
16 inch max but that would still affect the handling .
With a sud ti it is a classic and you would only devalue the car i personaly would stick with 15 inch wheels same as these .

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im sorry if i sound a bit rude but 19 inch wheels will look really stupid on a sud ti :mad:.
16 inch max but that would still affect the handling .
With a sud ti it is a classic and you would only devalue the car i personaly would stick with 15 inch wheels same as these .
Not being funny Pat but how is putting bigger wheels on a sud wrong and kev stripping a good sud shell and a 33 for "racing" OK:confused:
Plus 19 with ultra low profile tyres might not be that far from the diameter og the 14" 65'S

·
Registered
870 Posts
hey each to their own, personally i would not go to 19", in fact i did not even want to got to 14" on my sud but had too for easier out board brakes.

My car was an original and rare 1.3ti, that i have 16 valved, half stripped and chucked a roll cage in. lots of people said i was wrong to do that to it...

you do what you want fella, if it makes you smile then its right for you.

K

·
0 Posts
Not being funny Pat but how is putting bigger wheels on a sud wrong and kev stripping a good sud shell and a 33 for "racing" OK:confused:
Plus 19 with ultra low profile tyres might not be that far from the diameter og the 14" 65'S
don't bring me into the argument :lol:

each to there own harvey, if you want to put 19's on a sud then go for it mate :thumbs:

i for one would be interested to at least see what it looks like, saying that though it wouldn't be my choice due to the harsh ride the ultra low profile tyres would give you, but you go for it mate :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My tuppence worth I think 19's will be way overkill on a car of that size. Proportions will be skew-whiff but each to their own. Talking of overkill - anyone notice the new Astra GTC VXR has 21" rims . . . . . .:wow:

If originality is key then I will probably end up the anti-christ. I'm deviating somewhat on mine when it is eventually done. At least it will all be Alfa bits though and mechanically will be original.

K

·
0 Posts
A quick Photochop is in order to settle this I think.

Not to put too finer point on it..."it goes beep beep beep like a traktor!" :D :cheese:
actually a valid point is raised by the picture, will the wheels (or more accurately the tyres) fit under the arches.

a quick look and the difference in diameter between 185/60R14's and the smallest diameter tyres available for the 19's - 215/35R19 reveals an increase of overall diameter of 55mm, over 2"

what this of course also means is that you will have over 1" less gap between the tyre and the wheel arch, that's if the 215's would even go up in the arch? guess the width is less of an issue than the diameter as i'm sure someone will have fitted 215's of some sort before now...
i just don't think there is the physical room under the arches for the tyres that are available in 19" rims.
a quick check on my sud confirmed that there is around 1.5" of clearance on the back arches, but it is an empty shell so the wheel is lower in the arch than normal.

P

·
0 Posts
just to put a practical spin on things, and to widen your search no-end, is to look out for VW/Audi/Seat/ fit wheels, and some vauxhall 4 stud too,

they are all 4 x 100 if from the right era, such as Mk1/2 and some 3 Golfs, and can be fitted with 2mm wobble bolts no problem at all.

that should help you find something, however, 19's weren't really the thing in the Mk1/2 Golf era, they came a bit later, aswell as with the general move towards 5 stud for the extra size and weight of the big rims, or performance bias of a car that is designed to have 19" wheels, so again you might it a tad difficult.

adaptors of course can be used, and then you could fit all sorts, i'd go for a 5 x 100 pattern from your 4 x 98 original pattern, and then 19's will be a doddle to source/find, but youre going to be adding offset/width all the time too, so wide arches will become a neccssity i suspect?

but then, and now the personal view, 19's on a car of that era, i think i'd want wide arches to house them in and a big wide stance too.

i am a wheel hore, love messing with rims! but i think i'd draw the line at 17's with a 40, maybe 45 for comfort, profile, but that is my own personal view, so you go ahead and try whatever you want to try mate,

no harm in that is there.

finally, there comes a time where larger wheels start to do the opposite to what you want to achieve i find.

i always want the larger size to sit in the arch better, so i usualy mix a larger wheel, with a subtle lower/drop of the car itself, and that helps the car look properly modified, in my opinion,

but when the wheels are so big that they fill the arch on their own, you also start to lift the car because of the increase in total diameter/rolling radius, but because they fill the arch already, you can't lower the car any back towards terra firma,

so the wheels look awesome buried into the arch, cool, but the car ends up on stilts, not cool!

its a balance thing i find, and sometimes i get it right, and sometimes i don't,

go ahead and try it fella, it can't hurt if youre just buying a single wheel to try it out eh.

shrew

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Perhaps it's an age thing....

For those of us who go dewy eyed at a Corgi whizzwheels box, the Sud is 50% brilliance and 50% nostalgia.

It recalls an age when a Sunday pint at the country pub meant a drive or ride in a Sud. When its rasping exhaust and delicate detailing made it stand out from the Talbot Horizons and Renault 18s that otherwise cluttered the average pub car park.

For us perhaps a Sud must stay virginal on its steel or alloy wheels, no blue headlights or lowered suspension, just a moment of brilliance recalling an age when Top Gear was Chris Goffey and a TV babe meant Susan Penhaligon in Bouquet of Barbed Wire.

We need our Suds bubbling with the road salt of year round use, spewing tape from their Sharp radio cassettes. We want them full of sand and dogs and cigarette butts, reminding us of Radio 1 roadshows and old fashioned car accessory shops selling electrical aerials operated by little chrome toggle switches...

I'll stop now as it is time for my medication.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm guessing mixed thoughts:lol:
Yes that "super imposed" pic does look :vomit:
BUT if you read my post, I haven't started to repair the rear arches yet and so can "modify" the inner OR outter ones to suit (or extend them like shrew suggests)
Oddly againg Shrew mentions Audi's and VW's and can I add BMW as this is the "look" I'm thinking about.
Anybody looked at a A3 lately:cool:
Maybe 19's are too big but the pics of the Sprint with 17's on didn't give the same effect.
As for the greater diameter - this is what I want to do as it will change the gearing and become less frantic at motorway speeds, again not sure what will happen in the lower gears but never had much trouble spinning the wheels in the first 3 before so the engine should cope:thumbs:
I also don't know what the handling is going to be, but I do know I'm not likely to drive it like I would of when I was in my early 20's (David for the record I'm 44).
Finally I want this to be a "one off"- "posesing car" if you wish to call it, that turns heads and gets people talking Alfasud just like my 156sw does:cool: (mind you thats a 40/60 split:cry:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had 15 inch 145 wheels on my sud and they fitted no probs they were 195 width but anything bigger would of been very tight indeed! i think 16 or 17 would be the biggest you could physically go! i think someone on here had 17's, was a silver ti with a supercharger??

1 - 20 of 53 Posts