Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30,170 Posts
Yes it is possible, but not a great move if you actually want to drive the car!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I investigated putting 18s on my 156 and here's what I concluded from reading others experiences...
(No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wide of the mark).

As long as you don't increase the rolling radius of the wheel then the wheel geometry should be just fine. That means lowering the profile of the tyres as you increase the size of the wheel. The problem with this is that the ride quality will become uncomfortable on all but the smoothest roads. A number of AO members have switched from 18s back to 17s for this very reason. Besides physiotherapy bills, you also exponentially increase the probability of buckling your shiny new wheels on one of Blighty's many potholes. The other option is increasing the rolling radius to something that the suspension isn't designed for or a compromise between profile and wheel size. Some of the guys on here have done this with mixed results (usually on 18s though so see those threads). To avoid the 'Tonka' look, its generally accepted that the car should be lowered and stiffened on 18s. Even then a lot of the guys report rubbing, especially with passengers in the back. This can depend on such fine tuning as whether tyre edge design is tapered or squared. Furthermore, larger wheels tend to be wider, and I have not seen anyone recommend wider tyres than 225s because (depending on wheel offset) it interferes with suspension parts.

So in sum, yes, it's possible, but getting it right could be fiddly only certain wheels will work and it will probably require some ancillary spending to do properly. On top of that, it will by general consensus ruin your ride and you may hate that more than you love your big shiny wheels (I assume you have some shiny ones in mind). It seems like a lot of money to spend on something you might hate though.

I think these are 19s on alfa156.net and the owner lives in Italy so anything is possible I suppose. Bet he has a bad back though...
http://www.alfa156.net/owners_2008/042carlo01.jpg

Regards
Nick

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes it is possible, but not a great move if you actually want to drive the car!!
That's what I spent 10 minutes typing... but in one line. Wowzers! :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
Besides rubbing issues, ride, and such, wouldn't you greatly shorten the lifespan of those delicate upper wishbones?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I had 18x7.5" with 225/40 on my 156, no probs. It rode and handled very well. Subjective opinion, of course.
I have 19x8.5" with 225/35 on my GT, no probs. Rides and handles better than the factory setup.

19s should be quite do-able on the 156, as long as you get the wheel width and offset right. Ride comfort is not always an issue. Those that haven't tried, can only speculate.

:)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
it is indeed possible - you will just need to make sure you have the right offeset and width of rim and suspension setup to make sure it doesn't scrub or catch the arches.

·
7,713 Posts

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
everyone always miss this point ............. rotational forces increase as well ie ....rim is further nearer circumference so your brakes will be less efficient. ive read loads that have bent wheels from being on 18's never mind 19's

those who gone back to 17's probably find car handles better and brakes better

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I care about my spine too much :lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks for the input guys, just an idea that was in my head,
the wheels on the 156 in the link look bigger than 19's to me?

·
Registered
970 Posts
i've seen one with 20s...they did rub a bit here and there but the car had problems with one of the shocks and sat tilted to the left iirc....but as said...it can be done...weather it's worth it is a different question :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
anything can be done but coilovers way to go but personnally i prefare to drive and enjoy............why spend fortune on wheels when you can spend money on decent set up

·
7,713 Posts
everyone always miss this point ............. rotational forces increase as well ie ....rim is further nearer circumference so your brakes will be less efficient. ive read loads that have bent wheels from being on 18's never mind 19's

those who gone back to 17's probably find car handles better and brakes better
I can't say I've had a problem. I've had 18s and 19s (with tyres) that are lighter than the factory combo (which are typically heavy). Handling and braking are certainly no issue for 'fast street' car. I've always found turn-in to be improved, with better feedback, using lower profile tyres.

Cheaper wheels/tyres, for sure. Can be heavy, softer alloy, and rim design not contoured for strength.

It's easy to generalise, but it is merely that: a generalisation.
Sure, if someone is building a track car, then I wouldn't be advocating 18s or 19s.

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts