Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I will be selling the GTV.....possibly pretty soon.

It's not suited to my daily commute of nearly 130 miles a day and so looking at some devils work fueled 156 instead.

Had new timing belt, balance belt and all associated tensioners replaced 6 months ago. Car has done 10,000 miles since then.

New Valeo clutch kit fitted a few weeks ago too.

Has 5 month tax (I think) and MOT till near end of Feb 2012.

132000 miles and will rise as used daily.

Body work is not pristine with a couple of little dent/scratches on the drivers rear quarter. Bolster on the drivers seat is worn too. It has leather interior and aircon, but the aircon doesn't work.

When the belts were done, the plugs were changed for proper NGK platinum jobs, oil and filter change and also new FRAM air filter.

Stainless exhaust from 1st box back and also a new 1st box fitted too.

I don't know what to ask for the car and I may well be better trading it in. But if anyone is interested, make me an offer and we can take it from there.

Cheers :)

Car is based in Gourock near Glasgow.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I don't know what to ask for the car and I may well be better trading it in. But if anyone is interested, make me an offer and we can take it from there.
Pity it has come to that but needs must... Good luck with the sale! :thumbs:

I know this might not be any real help and is just stating the obvious, but best value for you (at least in the short term) is always to sell privately and buy the replacement car privately. Even if you're buying from a dealer (with the advantages of possibly better-quality cars on offer and some degree of warranty/longer-term service), it will still be more cost-effective to sell your car privately, as a dealer is unlikely to offer more than half the price they can retail the car for - and if they do, the price of the car you're buying will have been increased to suit :) Dealers have to make money somehow and it's quite slim pickings for them out there.

I also made some comments about identifying the market for a used car in http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/307025-how-to-sell-a-car.html

The gist of it is, the forum might not provide the best audience, as most of us already have one or more GTVs/Spiders and we know too much about them :cool: Instead, try parking the car in strategic locations with 'For Sale' signs - though laws in England might prevent this activity in some locations. Try notices on supermarket noticeboards, at a university campus, at a golf club, that sort of thing. If you're going to list in the usual cars-for-sale places, don't list it as an Alfa Romeo (that immediately suggests 'Enthusiasts Only') and instead indulge in some competitive advertising. Play down the technical nature of any work done and ensure everything on the car is fullly-functional and instils a sense of confidence and excitement. You're not selling a car - you're selling a dream! Worked for me :thumbs:

-Alex

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
......try parking the car in strategic locations with 'For Sale' signs - though laws in England might prevent this activity in some locations.
-Alex
Just aswell I am in Scotland then ;)

Like I say, if someone offers me what I think I'll as trade it will go to them, but I do think I am better trading it in.

I understand what you are saying about buying from a garage etc, but hey-ho, if the right car comes up at a garage I will have to investigate ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts