Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has just passed his test and has seen the above for sale for £1500 and he wants me to take him to see it next week. For some obscure reason he thinks i know about cars even though i had to get a mechanic to fit my brake pads and change my oil cus i couldn't

Questions:
Are there any known faults with this vintage of A3?
Its done 117k, should it have a good bit of life left?
What is the service intervals for these cars, I take it he'll have a big service coming up around 120k mark?

Cheers guys.

Also i've tried to talk him into a newer golf for the same money but he's not listening so any other options for a first car for a 23year old that isn't ur usual corsa, saxo, 106 muck is most welcome!

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
it's a Golf, so whatever applies there will probably apply here i guess.

My experience of VAG products is that if you rebuild them again between 60-80k, you'll get another 60/80k out of them again.

Door locks, boot locks, dampers...check them, too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is very very strong money for a 97 A3.
Personally i think he could get a later lower mileage car for the same money easilly.

H

·
0 Posts
Also i've tried to talk him into a newer golf for the same money but he's not listening so any other options for a first car for a 23year old that isn't ur usual corsa, saxo, 106 muck is most welcome!
A decent Mk2 106 in quiksilver or Gti form handles well enough to cling on to the back of most cars around the twisty stuff, and is capable of embarrasing unwary opponants in much more powerful equipment. And Saxos are essentially the same car (I agree about Corsas though)

That 'Muck' that you mention would outhandle my 156 any day of the week ;)

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That 'Muck' that you mention would outhandle my 156 any day of the week ;)
Maybe so but they are the Chav choice of steed, so i doubt he'd be interested.

Well he went and bought the car and due to me working the day he went, he took another friend who just about knows where to put the petrol in:rolleyes:

He paid full whack for it which I just laughed at, he didn't even try to haggle with the guy even though there were faults with it. fool and money and all that.....

S

·
0 Posts
Maybe so but they are the Chav choice of steed, so i doubt he'd be interested.

Well he went and bought the car and due to me working the day he went, he took another friend who just about knows where to put the petrol in:rolleyes:

He paid full whack for it which I just laughed at, he didn't even try to haggle with the guy even though there were faults with it. fool and money and all that.....
What faults fella?

K

·
0 Posts
VW/Audi products do seem to fetch strong money, even when ancient with intergalactic mileages. I imagine that for most of us, our first foray into the car-buying arena was similar though.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Could of got a good condition mk2 bravo HGT for a grand and spent the rest on insurance. :(

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what faults it had as it just mentioned it had a few faults, although i know one was the ABS light was on.

G5een - i think he went for the A3 as its not your usual first time car, ie i bought the 147 and our other mate bought a Celica for his first car so i don't think he wanted to let the side down with something average for a first car :lol

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My friend has a 97/98 Audi A4 (19.tdi 110se or something like that) with 19" Merc wheels for sale and he's looking a tad more than that but I'd say if you offered him £1500 you'd be driving away in it ;)

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose the main this is, he's happy with what he's bought and thats all that is important.

Who am i to judge anyones choice in car, i bought a ****** Alfa!:lol:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
G5een - i think he went for the A3 as its not your usual first time car, ie i bought the 147 and our other mate bought a Celica for his first car so i don't think he wanted to let the side down with something average for a first car :lol
Aint nothing average about the HGT. Quite possibly one of the nicest engine notes I've ever heard.

Infact, I'd bet there are more than twice as many bog standard A3's than HGT's :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts