Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. well I recently acquired.. well rescued a 1997 GTV destined to be gutted for its interior by a mini owner.. anyway on pick up.. the header tank cap was not sealing... you could basically pull it straight off.. so had to be towed home.

Got it home and quickly set about trying to see if its a more serious issue. Im pretty sure head gasket hasn't and isnt the issue...
It had a new thermostat and radiator in Feb this year.. the previous owner said he put the car up for sale as im march this year the heaters stopped working.

So after a day of messing with the poorly little gtv.. these are my major issues...

There is for some reason no water reaching the radiator.... ( which would explain the lack of hot air through the heaters... )

I also seem to have some sort. of air lock... I have tried to get rid of this but its not having any of it.

The car is not over heating.. just every so often you can hear the air...

Im guessing I'm going to need to flush the system especially the radiator. But is there an issue that i may have over looked...???

Oh the pipes going to the radiator are nice and hot... the radiator doesn't get warm at all....

I do have loads of other little issues but none that affect the running of the car x

Thanks...

Btw this is alfa number 8 for me now

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
best case:
If the system wasnt bled with the heater matrix open then there could be a nice big air bubble somewhere.

all the OEM rads ive done have had a small bleed screw at the top of the radiator (it is on the rear of the radiator at the top, drivers side [if you were looking through the windscreen at the rad]

Water wont flow to the radiator until the thermostat opens so needs to run up to temp and it should gush through to the rad.

When was the water pump last changed ? failure of the impeller on the pump will certainly also effect circulation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The warmth of the car heater and warmth of radiator are of course totally unrelated a s heater takes heat off the engine whist radiator will only get warm once the thermostat opens, your description suggests a heater matrix full of air, as Jowey said turn heater to full hot then try and refill, run engine to have water pump help burp the system and purge the air out of it with expansion tank cap off

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its definitely the radiator not getting any water.... as the radiator is staying cool no matter how hot the engine is.

I know its not the thermostat... going to have to keep working on getting the air lock sorted.... be helpful if my battery would stay charged lol

Going to hopefully work on it over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
When you say the radiator doesn’t get warm... have you checked top and bottom of the rad? If there is a big airlock then the top could be cool while the rad is hot at the bottom. Logic says the engine would seriously overheat if there was no water getting to the radiator.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Put the heater on full heat and run the car up to temperature, without the heater on full you can't rid the system of air.
Check both top and bottom hoses are hot. Otherwise the thermostate maybe stuck open.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Whether the heater is open or closed will have no effect on water flowing through the radiator.

As mentioned, on the drivers side of the radiator, at the top of the water jacket, there is a plastic plug, undo this, if no coolant flows out then add coolant to the Coolant Reservoir Tank till coolant flows out the plug, then close plug.

Now, start the engine. If after a short while there is no heat in either the top or bottom hoses to the radiator then the most likely cause is the impeller of the water pump has come loose from the impeller shaft, thus it is not pumping water around the system.

Replace pump along with Cambelts/Tensioners/Pulleys.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
bazzbazz It will affect water flow, if there is an air lock. I had this myself. Some radiators do not have a bleed nut. If the hoses are hot and water is not flowing, then as said, the car would seriously overheat. If the water pump is blocked the same thing serious over heating. Has the Op changed the faulty header tank cap?
I'm not sure why the Op thinks that the water is not flowing as reading their post again it says the top hose is hot and temp normal.
What about the bottom hose?

·
Registered
571 Posts
bazzbazz It will affect water flow, if there is an air lock.
No, it won't.

The heater hoses and Heating Matrix (Heating Radiator) ALWAYS have coolant running through them. In other words the heater is always running full on, you just got to warm up the engine first.

That is what the Mixer Motor Flap is for, if you want cold air it blocks the air going through the heater matrix. If you want warm air it partially allows air through the Heater Matrix, if you want hot air it blocks off the bypass piping and forces all the air through the Heater. This is how the temperature is controlled.

So you can set the temperature at anything you want, it will make no difference to water flow through the Heater Matrix or the engine in any way, there is no mechanical control over the water flow into the heating system, other than the effect of the Thermostat.

What I think you may be confusing with is the other/older method used where there is a mechanical link to a tap in the Heater pipes. Here the tap is either opened by using a slider on the dash, or in electronically controlled systems a motor operates the tap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts