Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.....i'm afraid i have blue coolant in my passenger foot well which i'm told is symptomatic of heater matrix failure? I have bought a replacement and was wondering what amount of work was involved? Is it a DIY job or dashboard out affair? Any advice or words of wisdom gratefully recieved :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Not necessarily a heater matrix failure.

More likely to be the tap that hides behind the plastic cover on the passenger side just underneath the dash.

Quick steps:

1) Push back passenger seat, stick your head under the dash with a torch, look for the plastic cover held on by two screws to left of centre console.

2) Remove two screws and you are now looking at the single piping coming from the engine bay to the heater matrix.

3) Problem may be the tap on the side of the matrix affixed to said piping.

4) See if coolant is leaking from here, move piping a little from side to side to see if drips come from here.

5) If so just order a replacment tap from the dealer - only £15 max.

6) Fairly easy job to do, couple of fiddly screws, that's it.

Problem why this issue of the tap leaking is so common is that the plastic cover puts stress on both the piping and tap (it's a tight fit, which means the piping is pushed to one side, putting stress on the fragile plastic tap). Solution is not to put the plastic cover back, you don't really need it.

This is a common problem on the 916 TS Alfas, do a search on here and a few threads will come up. The SW Rep did a photo guide in one thread of the tap concerned.

If no problem from the tap at all, then yes the heater matrix itself is the next step. But I bet you it's the silly little £15 tap!!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....errr...

Sorry to be dim, but i've removed the plastic side panel and can't see the tap you're talking about? There's blue residue around the air pipe...hopefully the picture shows this. Unable to see the matrix or tap???

Attachments

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Sorry to be dim, but i've removed the plastic side panel and can't see the tap you're talking about? There's blue residue around the air pipe...hopefully the picture shows this. Unable to see the matrix or tap???
Should be the plastic panel at the top of the picture. One of the screws is in the centre of the pic (it's covered in leaking fluid). The other screw is further along inside the footwell.

Give us another shout if you're still having problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm,,,removed that but couldn't see it. I'll investigate properly next weekend as i'm away as of tomorrow. Thanks for your help, and i'll post again if i need some more help. Ta very much :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fitted a new stereo and took the cover off on thursday to fit the new fascia adaptor and sort the wiring, found the same :-( Least I dont have to worry about it being a bigger job :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Jody-GTV, changed the heater tap on mine this weekend. The second screw is above the cover and the only way to get to it is by taking the glovebox out. Luckily, its only 5 small allen bolts inside (top) of glovebox and three bigger ones at the bottom (can be seen from the passenger seat. Once you take this out, you can then see the top screw in line with the bottom one.

But as mentionned by Spider95, its a tight fit and difficult to slide out once the screws are out.

Tap itself is pretty easy. Only problem I had was realligning the tap on.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Jody-GTV, changed the heater tap on mine this weekend. The second screw is above the cover and the only way to get to it is by taking the glovebox out. Luckily, its only 5 small allen bolts inside (top) of glovebox and three bigger ones at the bottom (can be seen from the passenger seat. Once you take this out, you can then see the top screw in line with the bottom one.

But as mentionned by Spider95, its a tight fit and difficult to slide out once the screws are out.

Tap itself is pretty easy. Only problem I had was realligning the tap on.
Oh right so it's a bit different to get to the tap on RHD models. Sorry, my Spider is LHD, should have thought of that:lol:

Still, at least you don't have to squeeze down with the pedals, plus having the steering wheel/column above your head and back. When I was doing the job I had difficulties getting out again:lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Spider95, i tip my hat to you :eek: I thought it was hard enough without the pedals in the way or it could be my age :lol:
:lol::lol:

Yes it is fiddly, the worst bit for me was re-attaching the screw connecting the tap to the connecting arm to the heater control nob. That was a bit of a nightmare, and as I say not much room to work with. Also pays to have a similar width jubilee clip (the factory one can't be used again), this will fit ok into the impression left on the rubber hose - any wider and you won't get a secure and tight result.

All for a £15 plastic tap.........are we mad or what?:lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
:rolleyes: Yep but still cheaper than going to a gym :lol: Mind you, bad news for me is that the system is still leaking somewhere and I think it the radiator, so thats the next challenge :cry:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I have this problem and don't know if it is the matrix or tap thing. I have removed the cover and I am getting a leak from the bottom square thing attached to bottom hose. Any ideas.?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts