Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can get hold on a set of inner tie rod poly bushes. Super pro have a set for the pre 1989 model.. Are these compatible with my 1994 33?

Thanks in advance,
Vin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers :)
So should a set of these do the job? I have a knock coming from the right side of the steering rack .. So i'll probably go ahead and change the tie rod ends and inner bushes

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem.. forgive my little knowledge, but do inner tie rods exist with power steering? I'm trying to sort this knock out and it makes sense to me that it might be a worn bush causing the tie rod to knock against the housing in the wheel arch.

L

·
0 Posts
Hi.
Had this with mine. The knocking can come from the bush failure between the rack and the arm. The set up for the power steering rods will be something like these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QH-FRONT-STEERING-ROD-EYEBOLT-INNER-RC491299P-TO-FIT-ALFA-ROMEO-33-1-7-86-94-OE-/300747599498?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make:Alfa+Romeo|Model:33&hash=item4605f42e8a

I had one bush collapse on mine so the steering arm was directly in contact with the rack causing loud knocking over rough surfaces. I bought new rods so don't know if the bushes are available separately.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the bushes are smaller - to take an M10 bolt - on the manual steer cars than on the power steer cars - which are an M12 bolt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The superflex website lists the bushes as either 10mm or 12mm

Here are the website details :
SF012-1219KSS
Steering Rack & Pinion Inner Tie Rod Kit
for 12mm bolt, please contact us for 10mm

So technically wouldn't I just need to order the 12mm version?

L

·
0 Posts
Yes I would say so. I imagine the bush is the same outer diameter with just different metal sleeves depending on the bolt fitting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Lee - you are correct about the sleeve differences.
Superflex changed their listing recently as they only listed the bushes with a M12 centre bore (I know this as I ordered some and they were too big for the M10 studs on my rack).
Anyone with previous experiences of polybushes please correct me but I'm not entirely convinced that these are a proper fit.
The polyurethane outer is an incredibly tight fit in the tie rod end, the lip at the end has to be prized over the end of the tie rod end with a lot of force and the stainless crush tube doesn't move freely in the bore of the polyurethane bush - is this normal?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be honest 20GBP is worth the gamble when compared to 1,000 to replace the rods.. But if anyone has any experience replacing the bushes i'd greatly appreciate any advice :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts