Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see/remember Tarquini (the race driver, not my V6) in the last race of the season? He had a DNF in the first race so had to start from the back and tear through the field.

Halfway through he clipped some kerb and it tipped the car onto the two outside wheels - a "wheelie" he held for a good 50 yards as he booted it up the next straight.

Anyway, we had a good view of the bottom of the car and I remember he had a huge undertray fitted from the front of the car all the way to the back.

I have a crazy notion to make one but for my V6 but I dunno if anyone else already has one (hur!) and can say how easy it is.

I reckon a huge piece of aluminium or carbon fibre (if I find any laying around in the garage, as you do) cut to shape and bolted to the side-sills and floor bottom ought to do it.

Will it give me a huge extra degree of downforce, be totally pointless or upset the aerodynamics under the car and make it flip over at high speed?

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You would need the rest of the "Silverstone" aerodynamic goodies to make it worthwhile I think.

Marlon

·
Registered
715 Posts
It was at Donnington. I was standing on the corner when it happened and decided there and then to buy a 155 eventually!!

You need to get the car really low to make much of a difference. It is all due to ground effect, by getting air to flow smoothly under the car at high speed. This is why the front splitter of a Silverstone has a hole in the middle. It would be more hassle than it is worth to make, expensive, get battered, potentially fall off, more likely to ground your car, make servicing underneath more difficult......

I have a front and rear undertray on mine, the front being standard on late UK 155's and the rear being standard on early 8 valves / V6's.

It adds 20 bhp to mine :D :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Actually, can anyone transfer video to MPG / AVI files for the PC so we can download them from this site. I can arrange the hosting. We need this Donnington incident and Tarquini's Knockhill crash and Simoni's win at Brands. 95 was full of crashes!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, that means I've only got 10 extra horses. I don't have the front tray

Marlon

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Henry Yorke:
Actually, can anyone transfer video to MPG / AVI files for the PC so we can download them from this site. I can arrange the hosting. We need this Donnington incident and Tarquini's Knockhill crash and Simoni's win at Brands. 95 was full of crashes!!!
I could do that Henry, if I had the videos.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got two of the 1994 season and one of the 1995. Also got some German and Italian season video's wink

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn!!! Forgot, Henry's got my Italian and German Video's.

Dk, sent you a PM :D

wrinx

·
Registered
715 Posts
DK, what kit do you need to do this (apart from a video player!). What software do you use too?

·
Banned
477 Posts
I've got all BTCC videos from 1993 to 2000 except 96 (boring audi domination year). Got some 93/94 dtm taped off eurosport. Can you still get official DTM videos or even dvds? I've also got a 30 minute video of the 1993 Touring car World Cup at Monza (pretty crap coverage but has a few 155s from the Italian series) Don't mind lending it for the benefit of the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts