Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Alfa Romeo 164L
I put a new fuel pump in it about a year ago but then took it off the road for rear bushings. I finally got back to work on it and it wont start. its not getting any fuel and the fuel pump is the issue.... it believe there is no voltage getting to the pump. what are the most common causes for this problem?

I also checked the relay and it seems to be functioning properly (i think).
thank you for your help!

John K

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
..i'm in a similar boat at the moment john so if i come across anything i'll post it up.

as a long shot i had a no-start problem a while back and it turned out to be a blown fuse for the heated rear window. the fuse is one of those located in the boot near the battery.. i hadn't checked it thinking what the helll could that have to do with anything :rolleyes:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Havent encountered this problem before but i am sure i have read before that there is an emergency cut off inside the car to cut fuel in case of an accident.

If you say the relay is working and the fusing has been checked the cut off may have been tripped, have a web search, maybe talking rubbish but worth half hour on the web with a cuppa in case!!

Have you run a seperate power supply to the pump to check it is actually working?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm not sure about the engine management systems on Federal 164s but I think the fuel pump won't see power until the ECU sees either a crank sensor signal or an airflow meter signal. I believe it's to stop unburned fuel filling the cat.

You could try turning the ignition on and poking the airflow meter flap open with a finger to see if the pump runs, I guess. If its not the airflow meter, it could be the crank sensor - the ECU just needs to see some indication tha tthe engine is running. Also, (and I'm not sure about this either!) I've a feeling it might over-ride this when cranking, so you could get someone to crank the starter and see if the fuel pump runs whilst cranking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it turns out i am getting power to the fuel pump.. but the fuel pump isnt working... sad part is.. i replaced it about 2 months before i put the car away for rear suspension work....

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
..well i know the fuel pump is a pin in the as5 to change, but i'd regard that as good news..!
hope she's back on the road soon anyhow.. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
i was told`fuel pumps dont fail very often unless allowed to dry out by running car too low on petrol too often,as they are lubricated by the fuel.
Suggest check ground from pump to G186 the grounds point mid body which connects back to the ECU.
Any self diagnosis available? Can you get flashing codes on the dash by pumping the accelerator 5 times in quick succession.?
Maybe worth checking ECU for water/coolant corrosion on the pins.Always a vulnerable point on the 164.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts