Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings- I am in the process of replacing the two steel brake lines (rusted/leaking) that run from the front of the car , over the gas tank, and then into the proportioning valve at the rear of the gas tank. The problem that I've encountered is that these brake line fittings are machined differently at the bottom than "conventional" metric brake line fittings. This slight difference in machining causes the fitting to leak even when tightened down into the proportioning valve assembly. Any idea where to purchase a set of these brake fittings or a possible "workaround" to make the "new fittings" work in the old proportioning valve body? Thanks for your consideration. Paul, Providence, RI

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First I need to establish which flare to use...Double or......

Bubble? Wow, this is a learning experience for me !!, I had never even heard of a Bubble Flare. Apparently to make a bubble flare, you just use the non- beveled side ( UP ) of the brake line clamp instead of the beveled side UP to make a Double Flare. Correct? OK, so which flaring method am I supposed to use on the 1991 Alfa Romeo 164? Thank you, Paul

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'm trying to remember what I did when I replace dmine. I can't remember anything odd about them though? I know that depending on where i buy the unions, there are very slight differences in the chamfer machined into the end of the fitting, but as far as I'm aware they are interchangeable. I think the pipe itself needs to be a DIN / ISO "bubble". You get these by just doing the first operation with the flaring tool, but not the second. This might help?

http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common flares6.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts