Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or rather, Spider S3 NOT opening quarterlights...

Both are stuck shut. The driver's side (LHD remember) latch has now come off when I REALLY tried to open the glass and the passenger side is no better.

Question: Can I replace the glass on both sides? or is this as I anticipate it's going to be... a nightmare...

TVMIA :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
You mean the latch is stuck, or the latch opens, but the glass is stuck shut? If the quarterlight is just stuck to the rubber, soak the whole thing in some silicon spray. You could also try some hot water to soften the rubber.
replacing the quarterlights will be a big job! better to leave them shut in my opinion.

·
Registered
516 Posts
When I bought my S3, the passenger side quarter light window had no catch and was stuck solid with a slight gap at the top. Over a period of several days I dripped some anti seize oil down the shaft, then placing a flat hand on each side of the glass, try to make it open and shut. (Do not put too much pressure that might break the glass). Slowly it started to move. Several days later it was perfect, I then stuck the catch back on with two part epoxy glue. After 24 hours setting, all ok and has been for a year now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought my S3, the passenger side quarter light window had no catch and was stuck solid with a slight gap at the top. Over a period of several days I dripped some anti seize oil down the shaft, then placing a flat hand on each side of the glass, try to make it open and shut. (Do not put too much pressure that might break the glass). Slowly it started to move. Several days later it was perfect, I then stuck the catch back on with two part epoxy glue. After 24 hours setting, all ok and has been for a year now.
I'm liking this and am gonna give that a shot :thumbs:

I'll let you know how I get on

Many thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't put too much pressure on the glass till it free because the pivot pins corrode and break easily. Do it gently and bit by bit. Quite honestly for all the good they are you better off leaving them shut.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't put too much pressure on the glass till it free because the pivot pins corrode and break easily. Do it gently and bit by bit. Quite honestly for all the good they are you better off leaving them shut.
I agree absolutely. Anyone who has had an Italian car of this era may well agree as well. If you want fresh air, take the roof off.

You may spend a lot of time freeing up your windows, and when you break off the catches, you'll be reaching for the Evostick to seal them up again......:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Advice taken about gently gently thank you.

In terms of their operation, they're supposed to work and that's what I want. If I have to replace them I will.

Cheers

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree absolutely. Anyone who has had an Italian car of this era may well agree as well. If you want fresh air, take the roof off.

You may spend a lot of time freeing up your windows, and when you break off the catches, you'll be reaching for the Evostick to seal them up again......:)
Hiya

Taking the roof off when it's raining and the side windows are misting up is not really a suitable solution I'm afraid, but thanks for your comments.

My original post explains that one catch is already broken. I am trying to establish whether replacing the windows or freeing them up is easier.

If when I try to free them up over the next few days I don't get a satisfactory result I'll have them replaced.

To rephrase my original post more specifically and concentrating on replacement:

What is required to replace both opening quarterlights, do I need any special tools? how complex or simple is it? and what do I need to be aware of before I start the work?

If anyone has actually taken on this job of successfully replacing these items I would be delighted to hear from you :thumbs:

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hiya, ok im restoring my 89 s3, and i stripped her completley, but to only remove the qtr windows ill have a look how as think from memory its not to hard but wind up winows prob come out 1st or dropped out the way, also if it helps i can get a pic for you of my qtrs out so you can see easier and will see how/where theyre siezed...let me know as ill have to dig the parts out of storage as my garage is also being decorated so packed all reso projects in diff corners!...maybe i can help with any other areas if reqd!? cheers paul (ps im in bulgaria and paiak is bulgarian for a spider....sure you wanted to know that, and im gmt+2)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts