Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have had a Red 89 Alfa Veloce since 89. I used to drive it to work downtown Seattle, but after 100K miles I decided to put it in the garage. I have been driving it about 4 or 5 times a year, but now that I am retired I decided to get a bit more use out it. It is in almost perfect shape and I love the car, however, for the first time, it won't start, just turns over without firing. It has always fired instantly, the last time was about 2 months ago. I am going to check the spark with a tester, then the next thing is to try starting fluid, however, I am mystified about which hose to pull off the plenum and spray starting fluid, so if anyone can help me I would be very grateful. I have the workshop manual and am including a picture of the Plenum Chamber.

Thanks for any help,,

Denny

Attachments

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Hi Denny, good place to start is to go through the basic routine of checking, fuel, sparks and air, I wouldn't bother with starting fluid as it sounds like something else is wrong if it always used to start well, does it churn and try to catch or churn and nothing at all?. I'm a carb man but there are plenty of injection guys here who will help

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,150 Posts
Start with checking fuel. When was the last time it was running? Is the fuel fresh or something from a couple of years ago? Is it a mechanical or electric pump? Is there fuel at the carbs?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
the 89 US spider is Jetronic, electric pumps (main under car and 1 intank pump)
The best online Jettronic troubleshoot is linked below-

check spark...if no spark, first thing to check is connections on the coil (clean and tight)
then it could be the flywheel sensors (your jetronic has 2 of these, on the bell housing on the starter side)...use the guide to check out the ohms....do also a visual check that the haven't loosened out of the bell housing etc. check the connectors (1 x black, 1 x grey) are clean and tight.

if spark is OK........

then check fuel. Main 'no fuel' culprit is the 8 A fuse holder under the rear shelf, check fuse AND holder, the old bullet style holder s are not the best! (whilst there check the 2 relays: the smaller relay is the main, the large Bosch relay is the drive/fuel relay)

like I said all these tests are outlined here (either flick thru pages 1 by 1 or download the pdf:
Performance Parts and Silicone Hose - HPSI Motorsports

as you are in the US, I would also join up to the spider section of the alfabb:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your suggestions, I tried most of them. Turned out I had no spark! I finally figured it out when I jumped my battery with a good strong 12V battery and it started immediately. I turned out that my battery showed 12.9 Volts sitting, but when I engaged the starter it dropped to 9.4 volts, below the threshold for firing the ignition. So I am off to the store to buy a new battery! Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 89 US spider is Jetronic, electric pumps (main under car and 1 intank pump)
The best online Jettronic troubleshoot is linked below-

check spark...if no spark, first thing to check is connections on the coil (clean and tight)
then it could be the flywheel sensors (your jetronic has 2 of these, on the bell housing on the starter side)...use the guide to check out the ohms....do also a visual check that the haven't loosened out of the bell housing etc. check the connectors (1 x black, 1 x grey) are clean and tight.

if spark is OK........

then check fuel. Main 'no fuel' culprit is the 8 A fuse holder under the rear shelf, check fuse AND holder, the old bullet style holder s are not the best! (whilst there check the 2 relays: the smaller relay is the main, the large Bosch relay is the drive/fuel relay)

like I said all these tests are outlined here (either flick thru pages 1 by 1 or download the pdf:
Performance Parts and Silicone Hose - HPSI Motorsports

as you are in the US, I would also join up to the spider section of the alfabb:
Spider (1966-Up) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
The PDF is a great source, thanks. It led me to another problem I have, when I remove the gas cap there is a loud whoosh as pressure lets off. I am following a chain now that explains how to troubleshoot that.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions, I tried most of them. Turned out I had no spark! I finally figured it out when I jumped my battery with a good strong 12V battery and it started immediately. I turned out that my battery showed 12.9 Volts sitting, but when I engaged the starter it dropped to 9.4 volts, below the threshold for firing the ignition. So I am off to the store to buy a new battery! Thanks for your help everyone.
Glad you got it working!
yes, the Ljet computor (ECU) requires about 10,5V whilst cranking, before it will 'wake up':)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts