Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me Spider with 20k miles has a brake squeak problem. We just put new pads on it to try and fix it- though the existing pads had practically no wear. The new pads seemed to fix the problem for the first few miles, not the squeak has returned slightly. We did not put any grease on the caliper as was there when we removed it. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
you could try filing off the leading edge of the pads slightly (give them a light champfer) and cleaning off the old grease and applying new to the back and the contact points in the guide shaft. Maybe try Mintex Cera Tec (in germany it is called Textar Cera tec), if you have it in the states, instead of the usual copper ease grease. There is also a post by efcmandan, titled "whats going on with my brakes", where a few people have given tips and advice.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I presume it still has the sprung loaded clip on all the breaks or are they missing?
These help stop squealing and I have seen them missing in years gone by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, but no they do not stop when warmed up. The are not Alfa brakes if there are any such thing. I bought premium pads from Reibes (napa part). I have heard I should get the brakes from the Alfa parts dealer. Would anyone agree with that? Also one more thing, a bit off topic- what is the difference between my Quadrifoligio and a Quadrifoligo Verde? I do not have a spec sheet for my 1986 and have much to learn. Many thanks for the replies. Annemarie

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I very much doubt alfa produce their own pads...they just put them in an alfa box and charge a whole lot extra!
Decent pads from a quality manufacturer are fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts