Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed that my wipers won't park at the bottom of the windscreen. Also the intermittent setting doesn't work. Does anyone know what could be the problem? I have had the motor cleaned internally as thought it maybe the brass contacts inside however this hasn't made any difference. The motor has four wires of which if I remember two of the wires are live when on the intermittent setting. As this car was originally converted from left hand drive to the UK spec if someone has a wiring diagram that would be helpful. Is there any relays on the UK spec cars?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Does the S3 have the foot pump like the S2? - if so it'll be the micro switch in the foot pump mechanism that's failed or the contacts have gummed up - if its doesn't then sorry I don't know what the problem is

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I have recently noticed that my wipers won't park at the bottom of the windscreen.
Also the intermittent setting doesn't work
As this car was originally converted from left hand drive to the UK spec if someone has a wiring diagram that would be helpful.
Is there any relays on the UK spec cars?
(S3 has no footpump)

parking: you saying they park but not at the bottom of the screen? or, they just stop dead when you turn the wipers off? Parking mechanism is inside the motor.

Intermittant relay: it is a fairly big Sipea relay, and is bolted to the car just above (on lhd cars) the actual fuse box....is the fusebox still on the left on your rhd conversion? if so, the relay ought to be still there, methinks.

84 (US 115.41) wiring here (probably same as 85)
Alfa Romeo Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Zündanlage Spider US Serie 3 springt nicht mehr an

Dom

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Relay will be on the upper footwell to right of steerg wheel on the RHD. it is SIPEA 0854.
The issue will be the motor internal is not set correctly.
The intermittant sends a short signal to move the motor which uses the self park to move it.
If the wiper park does not work the intermittant will not.
I have same issue (1986 S3) and checked all wiring and relay - they are fine and voltage coming through to motor.
I need to set up the rotory switch inside the motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help so far. Currently stuck in a cold garage trying to sort this out however think I may have found the problem (fingers crossed ). I've taken a picture of a connector on the right hand footwear that seems to be have power only when I flick the wiper switch. Should this have something connected to it? I've taken a close up shot. Hopefully someone can help me?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much. I presume this relay is only for the park and intermittent setting as my wipers work on slow and fast?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SWQ4 or anyone else, is there any chance I could have a picture of the connector and the relay please? Reason being is that my connector has six terminals whereas the Spiea 0854 relay has eight terminals. Just wondering whoever converted the car to right hand drive has used an aftermarket relay possibly. Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Connector is a 8 lead but only 7 pins used.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
if your connector only has six pins, I can't see it being for the wiper relay connector (although anything is possible with a rhd conversion)

Is there any current at that block when you use the wipers?
where is your fusebox, on the left or has it been moved over to the right?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The images are not that clear but there looks to be some blue tape covering some leads into that connector - maybe someone modified it post conversion due to SIPEA 0854 being non-obtainable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help so far. I'm going to have another look tomorrow at the connector just to check how many female connectors are in it. Also when I tested the wires in the connector at the weekend there is definitely a live feed coming from the wiper stalk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've checked the multiple connector and it definitely has six female connectors and one wire has permanent ignition live and another has live when the stalk is pressed to intermittent. This connector still in my mind tally's up with the wiring diagram supplied by another forum member relating to the wiper intermittent relay. Just puzzled by the fact that the only relay available is a eight pin! Any one that has a series 3 please can they compare their connector with mine and maybe a photo would be good!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
third photo here is the wiper relay and connector wiring on an S4 spider (and lhd), but iirc they should be the same.
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Available Wiring Diagrams

Something has obviously been changed for your RHD conversion.
Another relay was the sipea 0489 that used 4 pins (Alfetta I believe), but I cant see that clipping into the connector you have either, tbh.
see:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIPEA-0489-intermittent-wiper-relay-ALFA-ROMEO-FIAT-SPIDER-S-31-31b-15-12V-/231803346933?hash=item35f88e5ff5:g:VQwAAOSwpDdVb2rN

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the update is that I'm very happy as I managed to sort out what is wrong with the wiper circuit. After endless hour's of studying wiring diagrams there are four lots of wires being red/black, grey/black, black & violet that all belong to the connector I mention in a previous post. I managed to source a NOS relay which is a four terminal and this connects straight on to the connector under the dash area. Ignition was turned on and straight away the wipers parked and the intermittent circuit works like it should. See attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, this was the only place I could purchase one from with very quick delivery. Thanks for all your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts