Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum. I haven't posted much, but i have been looking around. My father has a 1978 Alfa Romeo. He doesn't seem to pay too much attention to it. So I was thinking of taking over. I know this will be hard, but this car is just beautiful. There are no other cars like it around. It's a head turner forsure. Now, the question would be, do you think I as a 17 yr old could potentially start working on the car. I will give it the TLC that it needs. I've done minor things to it like change the brakes, oil and things. But i've heard it gets more complicated than that because it is a foreign car. Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mechanically they are relatively simple in terms of layout and technology - key question is what state the bodywork is in - very easy to spend £1000s on upgrades, etc - very beautiful cars, had one from new in my youth.

Good luck with it, you will learn a lot but not really a daily driver if that's what you are aiming for, the winter weather and salt on the roads ill eat the metalwork in no time.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
wouldn't worry that you are 17 (if you have already changed brakes, oil etc) then you have already tackled somethings that people twice your age haven't yet :)

as for winter and salt on the roads, I see you are from California - if you are from the south, I doubt you will need to worry about that aspect at least!

Mechanics are fairly easy to do on these cars, having said that you have VERY strict smog laws in CA, so things need to be maintained and I presume your 78 has spica injection. That can cause headaches, but if properly set up works as good as anything else. There is a guy on your side of the pond, Wes Ingram, who is the present guru on the spica system and his website has lots of trouble-shooting tips and adjustments for this system.....should you need them.

The good thing is the alfa community is very good - you come across a problem, you post it up here or on alfaBB, and you will eventually find a solution.

go for it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Marvinalopez as before have fun and nothing is impossible in the internet age. There are forums, videos and information on all aspects to help you fix. All it needs is your positive attitude which i think you have.
regards Vinnychoff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts