Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the look of both - which is more desireable? pros cons

looking for a third car to replace the rally car as a - polish and drive once a month as an 'occasion' opposed to try to kill myself ;-)

need sporty drive but useable with baby seat in the back...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think I'd have to go for a 1300 GT Junior with its classic over square engine. The first Alfa I ever drove and unfortunately the only Alfa I have ever written off!

·
Registered
453 Posts
General feeling about desirability/value seems to be :-

1600 Sprint GT/GTV
1750 GTV
2000 GTV
1600 Junior
1300 Junior

Obviously ignoring the GTA variants.

Personally, I'd have a 2000 GTV over a 1600 Junior every time - although I love the look of the 1300 Step-front Junior.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
All depends how tall you are!I am 6ft1 and weigh 96KG,my head rubs on the roof of a junior.I would love to have one,unfortunately I am too big for it.:)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If you're talking specifically 1970's and excluding the 60's variants then stylistically & dynamically there's not a lot of difference. So it is down to a choice of engine. 2000 = torquey, most powerful, LSD standard. 1300 & 1600 more revvy.

Eraly 70'd juniors had lower spec internal trim but this was gradually brought cl;oser to 2000GTV in their life.

·
Registered
807 Posts
All depends how tall you are!I am 6ft1 and weigh 96KG,my head rubs on the roof of a junior.I would love to have one,unfortunately I am too big for it.:)

Strange I have a mate who is 6ft 6 and he thought the same about my 1972 Junior until he drove it and was amazed by the amount of head room for him. Did the one you tried have a sun roof? I'm 5ft 11 and could easliy wear a trilby in mine.

PS mine was a 1300 Junior but now has 2000gtv running gear

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just want pre 73 to save a couple of quid a year on tax (not that its a hugh saving in the scheme of things!)

does the 2000 rev happy enough?

after the sensation of speed opposed to needing the speed - if you know what i mean?

one strange question - baby seats... can you fit a baby seat in the back of a gtv?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Never had the 2000 much beyond 5000, but gets there in any gear pretty quickly as only weights around 1000kg with 132bhp, also LSD an advantage.
I can usually overtake most ordinary moderns ok, cause has plenty of talk and lowish gearing

Not sure about baby seats, you'd probably need to get seat belts fitted 1st, unless previous owner has already. so you can chose ones that go with seat I suppose as opposed to lap belts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Strange I have a mate who is 6ft 6 and he thought the same about my 1972 Junior until he drove it and was amazed by the amount of head room for him. Did the one you tried have a sun roof? I'm 5ft 11 and could easliy wear a trilby in mine.

PS mine was a 1300 Junior but now has 2000gtv running gear
Head sticking out of sunroof:lol: (only joking)
Maybe I should have tilted the seat-backing a bit.
My 105 Spider feels a tiny bit roomier even with the top up,could be my imagination.
I like the look and ever increasing value of the stepnose,but the "practicality" of the '70's 2liter models:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
just want pre 73 to save a couple of quid a year on tax (not that its a hugh saving in the scheme of things!)

does the 2000 rev happy enough?

after the sensation of speed opposed to needing the speed - if you know what i mean?
I have a Spider with a 2000 engine, and it revs very happily to the 5500 ish redline. TBH you never need to rev beyond 3000-3500 to keep up, if not outrun, modern traffic. The best noises also come between 1700-3000 RPM too, although it does sound amazing at 5000 and above too!!

Have certainly heard that the 1750 is slightly more desirable though, I guess due to its happy medium between power and reviness when compared to the 1300 and 2000.

I think you'll be more than happy with whatever you choose! The experience of driving these cars is beyond compare, and you'll never lose the smile from your face!

Phil

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Unless you have a particular desire for a step Front, the best one to go for is probably the 1750GTV, OK I'm biased but, it's fairly widely held belief that;

They have the most attractive front and the neatest rear light treatment.
The interior is the best, with a nice wooden centre consol, a fine set of seats, a bit whacky if you get a MK1, nice wood rimmed wheel and the big clear circular speedo and rev counter.
The 1750 Engine isn't far short of 2000 power and will rev cleanly around to 6000 plus and deliver a good chunk of Torque in the midrange too.
They are all pre 73, so it's free RFL.

Ian Ellis has got a cheap left hooker on ebay at the moment, but it needs a bit of work.

Edit.. I'm sure I've seen a baby seat in a Bertie, I think Rick used to put one in before the little one grew out of it... Tom that is, not Rick..:eek:

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Yes ti's nice that, White with a Webasto;) . The Red one on Ebay looks OK too. The one I mentioned that Ian Ellis was selling has gone now.

Thinking about it Rick you would struggle to get a seat in with the cage and the Ridgard seats. It must have been a differant one I saw.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I guess the budget is an issue too. For me, I would have preferred to get a 1750/ 2000 however the values seem to have shot up recently therefore I figured a sorted Junior was better than a rough GTV. I went for Junior with a 2000 engine :D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Thats a good choice, the junior front grille is in my humble opinion cleaner and nicer looking than the rather glitzy chrome affair on the 2000GTV

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to own a 68 1750 until it was ridden off :( 15 years later with a large garage I have purchased a 74 2000 gtv which I've always wanted. Mechanically I think these are far superior but still can't take my eyes off the stepnoses. If you visit Alfaholics dot com you'll see what I mean. I have also bought an 84 Alfetta GTV which is now my daily driver. I am watching a 64 stepnose atm with all 2000 running gear. If it doesn't fetch much more I will be adding this to my corral.
:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts