Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post on here in absolute ages. I have always lusted after a round back Spider and a lovely looking example has recently become available. I had the person who services my cars look at it and he discovered that it had the wrong engine, an 1800 from a 1980s Alfetta/Giulietta. It therefore has Dellorto carbs instead of Webers.

I am in two minds now about the car. The bodywork, interior and soft top are all in very good condition. I want a car to enjoy, not a show queen but I am not sure how much the value is adversely affected by the incorrect engine should I wish to sell the car at a later stage.

The other thing is that the seller wants silly money for it and I don't think it is worth that money with the present engine.

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the carbs - they are neither here nor there and Dellorto were arguably a better carb than Weber anyway.

If it's fitted with an 1800 it's an unusual conversion because a fair bit of work has to be done to get it in. Normally it is much easier to just fit a 1750 or 2000 Nord engine. But it's certainly a power upgrade and probably improved in other areas too.

If your main concern is value then as long as you don't pay too much for it now then it'll be reflected when you come to sell.

Generally speaking my view is that the market for 105 series cars is much more tolerant of fitting different engines, or engine upgrades compared to other models or marques. I saw an immaculate Junior Zagato fitted with an upgraded 1750 engine go for top money at auction recently. Twinspark upgrades are de rigeur now for track or fast road Bertone Coupes. There was a wide range of engines fitted over the model life (nearly all interchangeable) And there's no such thing as a 'matching numbers' car - Alfa never bothered matching engines to chassis in the records.

There's an active Australian owners club so why not join them or have a chat to a few people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts