Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1968 Giulia Sprint GT --now with Twin Spark--Turbo

I have found my first Alfa, purchased locally from a nice oke in Pretoria. It is a RHD 1968 (SA reg 1969) GT 1300 Junior that has been well looked after. Some of you may know the car and owner, he made it his car... so upgrades aren't everyone's taste, but it was done well. What I know:

2000 Engine runs well, but will be getting some performance treatment
1750 Gearbox (have the 2000 gearbox as a spare)

Immediate needs:
Nice tune
Speedometer Cable needs replaced/repaired
Driver window crank retainer is flexing, needs replaced/repaired

My short-term intentions:
Rims will be replaced (looking for some GTA alloys, or period mags) initially widened original steelies and correct hubcaps have been sourced from other members here
Bumpers are coming off
Painting front black, rockers black
GTA 1300 Stradale Decals (in matching black) are enroute
Lowered (will get with the experts for right amount)

Long-term intentions:
Interior returned to stock (will keep seatbelts)
New factory dashpad
Factory bucket seats
Factory Door Panels

GTA aluminum roof (want to get rid of sunroof)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Looks very nice.

Get standard wheels as well. Try to keep the car as standard as possible. You will compete better in club's 'spit and polishes' and 'concourses'. This way you can get more 'value' out of your toy.

With the right shocks and a set of decent cams your can do the trackdays effectively as well. And without opening the engine or breaking the bank.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corrie, Thanks for the input...the engine pulls very well it is a street performance 2000, not sure what the cam profile is. Just want to get solid tune so I can start learning the carbs myself (want a proper tune baseline).

I have agreed to purchase some widened original steel wheels from a member here, and will also get a set of period correct mags (Momos, Superlites, or something accordingly). Never hurts to have some different wheel choices, but the ones on it will be sold for spares funds immediately

Hope to see local Alfas out and about early in the New Year, I'm back to my home (New York) for Holiday!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Springbok, Agreed on the yellow (it is not another red Alfa) but it needs to be broken up. The paint is 12 years old, and looks really good which speaks a lot about the condition of the body. I can't wait to get the black GTA Decals on (thought about going with green, for a nice yellow/green combo) and paint a racing style black front. Kind of a new spin on the old red/white GTA

P

·
0 Posts
Hi, looks very very nice. With some standard wheels it will look awesome... Still on my wish list a GT Junior...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another picture to show the detail under the hood the previous owner has gone through...not the way some people would do it, but well done anyway. Probably going remove a lot of his detail and try to find a twin spark head and trumpets for the Webers...

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any suggestions on the sunroof? I think everything else will be minor fixes over time (not saying cheap) but the roof really is something I didn't want to take on. Alas, price was right and overall condition made me overlook the extra light shining in.

My intent is to do a GTA Stradale replica, but keep previous owners yellow and add some matte black touches. Kind of a bumblebee effect, a GTA tribute that is worthy of S. Africa

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, from the US...not many of these old Alfa's there any more. Actually they are, but they sell for about 8 timse as much (same as the exchange rate right now). The prices are very good here still, which is why people keep picking the historic race/rally type vehicles from SA. I'll try to show as much progress on this vechicle as possible, and will have it at some Alfa outings early in 2012. Mason there are still some good step-noses out there, the Gauteng climate is about the best on these cars in the world. Patience and you'll find a good starter car.

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Good luck with the project Scotty, we should get in touch, we may have some similar issues to deal with on our respective projects....
I see a bulk order from Alfaholics in the near future:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Wow velly nice! I love these cars

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Any suggestions on the sunroof? I think everything else will be minor fixes over time (not saying cheap) but the roof really is something I didn't want to take on. Alas, price was right and overall condition made me overlook the extra light shining in.

My intent is to do a GTA Stradale replica, but keep previous owners yellow and add some matte black touches. Kind of a bumblebee effect, a GTA tribute that is worthy of S. Africa
I have a period fabric folding sunroof. In your case it would mean finding a place to do it and extending the cavity to accommodate the sunroof. It really is nice cruising with the roof open on early morning summer runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Romeo,
I love it, I'd read that there are places in Europe putting those in still. I will have to start looking into that option, sure looks nice on your car. You've got a real beauty...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Very nice project!
Congrats and hope you enjoy the car a lot.

Romeo,
I love it, I'd read that there are places in Europe putting those in still. I will have to start looking into that option, sure looks nice on your car. You've got a real beauty...
Even though I think it looks good on Romeo's car I would ideally not want a sunroof on a Gta / Gta replica.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
El I think its time you SWOP that damn 17's...jarre bra!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
1 - 20 of 578 Posts