Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have uncovered an ancient copy of The Autocar , published 16 November 1956.
In the Cars for sale section I find a
" Alfa Romeo 2-seater with fixed hard top on specially built body and 2.3 8-cylinder supercharged engine , completely overhauled 5000 miles ago , history available . £495 .Chase Road Epsom.

Eat your hearts out.:inlove:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Inflation's a killer - £500 then is worth £10,500 now. Still a bargain for anything with a 2.3 8C supercharged engine, even if it did have a b4stard body on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried but BT are having problems connecting me to Epsom 5696!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have uncovered an ancient copy of The Autocar , published 16 November 1956.
In the Cars for sale section I find a
" Alfa Romeo 2-seater with fixed hard top on specially built body and 2.3 8-cylinder supercharged engine , completely overhauled 5000 miles ago , history available . £495 .Chase Road Epsom.
Yes but,

In the same year my uncle bought his house for £2,000 (four times the price of an Alfa 8c). A couple of years ago that same house was sold for £550,000.

£137,500 (a quarter of a decent four-bedroom house in a nice area) would still buy you a nice Alfa today.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure of your comparison , there are hundreds of four bedroom houses built before and after 1956 of varying prices , most I would think still standing. When was the last time you passed an 8 cylinder supercharged Alfa ?

I have only ever owned one house , it was built in 1937 and cost £600 , I bought it in 1969 for £2800 and sold it thirteen years later for £ 7500.I am not sure what this proves.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My point was simply that the 8C was always a rich man's toy, it cost the equivalent of a quarter of my uncle's house did at the same time. I used his house as an example because I just happen to know both 1956 and 2013 values.

If you take the same fraction of that same house today you could still treat yourself to a very nice rich man's toy.

By a beautiful coincidence this is available for EXACTLY that price.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I follow your thinking , but most if not all the desirable old motors started life as a toy for someone with the wad to buy one , after WW2 very few people owned cars and it stayed that way into the mid 50's and even when cars became readily available they were crude by any standard unless you could afford a car older than your self and previously bought new by some rich B'd , and that remains the story of my motoring life from 1954 to date.I have given up looking at classic car websites because I keep seeing cars of the type I once owned now worth a Kings ransom , and please do not mention bikes , BSA Gold Star 650 sold for £400 now worth a couple of new Jags.:cry:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I used to know somebody who accumulated basket case Frazer Nashes in the fifties, paying a few quid for each, then restoring them himself over the next thirty years.

Only one of his cars was not a F-N: he had rebuilt a 1926 6cyl RL Alfa Romeo 4 seater drophead, though I suspect he must have paid more than for the others. Going for a ride in that was something special.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep it makes you weep. I met someone in the early '80s who was picking up tatty Bertones in auctions for buttons, he stuffed them with newspaper and covered them in P38, sprayed them red (regardless of original colour) and sold them for ±£1,500 each.

What a crying shame.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to know somebody who accumulated basket case Frazer Nashes in the fifties, paying a few quid for each, then restoring them himself over the next thirty years.

Only one of his cars was not a F-N: he had rebuilt a 1926 6cyl RL Alfa Romeo 4 seater drophead, though I suspect he must have paid more than for the others. Going for a ride in that was something special.
I bought a F-N from a bomb-site dealer in Chiswick ,I think that was about 2.5 liter , it needed a new hood ,in fact it needed a hood , moved that on swiftly and made a few quid .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts