Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying all week to find a reasonable quote for me aged 19 (or 20 as my birthday is soon) for a gt 1.9 jtdm 55 plate and the lowest I could get was 1439 through admiral with my mum and sister as named drivers tpf&t

any advice of where to try next?

I'm confused as I can get insured on a 106 gti which is only one group lower for about 800 quid.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
II could get was 1439 through admiral with my mum and sister as named drivers tpf&t

any advice of where to try next?
Take your mum and sister off. That made my last quote £300 cheaper!

Bear in mind that your 106 is worth a lot less than the GT is. That affects things too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I've tried that and I can never usually be arsed, without them it goes up by a grand! It's a little depressing to say the least

I don't want to be stopped from getting an alfa because of ridiculous insurance costs:(

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
This is newer (I assume) and more expensive in parts (and cost of vehicle I would have thought) and any claim is likely to cost more. It's not just a case of which group it's in. Personally, I don't think that's a bad quote for a nineteen year old.

I wouldn't spend that much on a car and not go fully comp if I were you. When I was nineteen and had a Golf GTI I bought on a bank loan, I insured it third party. I was hit by an uninsured driver after having it for three months and was left with no car and still having to pay the bank the loan repayments for the next three years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to go fully comp if I can

the car might not be available until I have 3 years ncb so that would help
trouble is justifying the massive insurance hike over my 106 atm which is only a 1.4 and cost me £700 all mods declared tpf&t

sometimes I wish I was a girl for things like this.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I always insure through Admiral or Elephant. I got my 147 1.6TS Lusso when I was 19, was paying around £800 fully comp. After 2 years this dropped nicely to £600, but now aged 22 I've had my 147 GTA for 2 months and got my insurance with Elephant - premium was £780 fully comp!!! I think a lot of it seems to be luck of the draw or postcodes. These premiums also include an accident (ice on my driveway).

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
is it just me that thinks £1400 is fairly cheap for a 19yo with a 55plate GT?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try getting quotes on Fridays or at the end of the month. Insurance companies have quotas and need to meet sales targets - you might get lucky. Have you tried Nationwide or Tesco? Got good quotes from them for my daughter but, as you say, girls do beetr with insurance. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try playing about with adding parents as named drivers and different combinations of them.

I was looking for a quote on a GTV V6 yesterday, 22, 2 years NCB...

Myself only: £1,200
Myself and both parents: £935
Myself and Dad: £1,020
Myself and Mum: £840

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Try playing about with adding parents as named drivers and different combinations of them.

I was looking for a quote on a GTV V6 yesterday, 22, 2 years NCB...

Myself only: £1,200
Myself and both parents: £935
Myself and Dad: £1,020
Myself and Mum: £840
Mum's the word! :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mum's the word! :)
Adding Mum on the insurance dropped it a lot, Dad put it up a bit.

On my 147 TS I had both my Mum and Nan as named drivers, but since my Nan is now retirement age she has caused the premiums to go up.

It broke my heart to tell her she couldn't drive the GTA :cheese:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see this car every day at work and fall in love with it a little bit more each time.

metallic grey with red leather, **** me does it look nice inside.

I might just bend over and take the insurance payment lol

cheers for opinions/advice everyone.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am 22 Years old, with 2 years no claims. I have a Claim to my name and 3 points (come off this year). My renewl for my insurance is £1100 with Direct Line.

·
Registered
694 Posts
An Alfa is always more expensive than something in the same insurance group.. as it's always classed as a sports car.. i'm 20 and just bought a 147 1.6ts . i did drive an audi a3 1.6 sport and my insurance has gone up £200 per year..

why don't you get a 147..?

G

·
0 Posts
You'll struggle to get lower than that to be honest. Try Adrian Flux although I've just swapped to Norwich Union as they quoted me £250 less than AF. I'm 35 with 3 points and it's £600 for me on a GT JTS. They are not cheap cars to insure unfortunately

1 - 20 of 33 Posts