Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Bought a new G last year. I was a member on here many years ago when I had my Gt...2 different cars and 8 years later, I'm back in the Alfa fold. (For some reason I couldn't retrieve my old account and moderators had no joy either.)Anyway I'm a newbie again.

I bought the facelift G 2.0L 175bhp tct Speciale. It's a lovely looking car but I wish it had the option of 19" alloys. I look at that wheel arch gap everyday and it really bugs me and as beautiful as the 18" 5 spokes are, they sat in the wheel arches and imo should be 20mm further out. Lined up against the BMW, Audi, Merc's it doesn't have the same stance.

I've seen a forum member DeP has put the Giulia 19"s on. I love these alloys to bits. I have spoke to a guy from Italy who said the 8.5J 19s part number 156112958 with 225/35 R19 will fit fine. He asked if I needed tyre pressure valves??? I don't have a clue. He said he would supply them programmed.

I did consider going down the route of B6 Bilstiens and Eibachs, spacers and keep the 18"s on. But I really don't to start messing around with all that. It's only done 6k and feels like a shame to make such a big change, plus all the potential issues with tracking, towing and stress on bearings.

I'll get to the point... who has 19"s on with standard suspension setup? Any rubbing? Do they "fill" the wheel arches better? Should I still lower the car 30mm to get the desired look?

I need your expertise please.....

On a separate note myself and a friend are heading to the National Alfa meet. Anyone around Chesterfield, Sheffield, Nottingham etc want to go in convoy?

Many thanks, Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using the standard cars shocks? Are the Ti's 8Jx19 or 8.5 J x 19's

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I wouldnt start mucking around with 19 wheels, you will need to start lowering it differnt springs shocks etc. I did that on my GTV V6 and was just a mess. Something Ill never do again

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sorry Fred but why so negative today.
Pitero has the exact setup with standard shocks and no issues.
I see no reason to contradict him.:smoker:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry Fred but why so negative today.
Pitero has the exact setup with standard shocks and no issues.
I see no reason to contradict him.:smoker:
My point exactly in the other thread. I have a friend running 19's with Eibach springs and he's extremely happy with this setup.

I'm running 17's with the Novitec Stradale coilover and same here, also very happy with the setup.

I can imagine some people would miss some of the comfort you had on the original setup, though on the other hand there will also be people who would still find it too soft and would want to go further than this. Something to keep in mind would probably also be the quality of roads you typically drive. I guess age is also in play as I remember being 18 I would go as low and hard as possible and loving it, right now wouldn't go down that road anymore.

Bottomline, to each their own and you can't simply state that something would be bad just because you and others do not like it.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
My GTV V6 had bigger wheels lower profile tyres and harder shocks. I had it for 8 years.

First few years I thought it was the best handling car on the road and was totally in love with it. It was firm but still comfortable enough.

After the 4th year or so I noticed the car getting harder and harder each year till year 8 I was so sick of the hard suspension I sold it and vowed I would never get a hard riding car ever again.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi guys,

Bought a new G last year. I was a member on here many years ago when I had my Gt...2 different cars and 8 years later, I'm back in the Alfa fold. (For some reason I couldn't retrieve my old account and moderators had no joy either.)Anyway I'm a newbie again.

I bought the facelift G 2.0L 175bhp tct Speciale. It's a lovely looking car but I wish it had the option of 19" alloys. I look at that wheel arch gap everyday and it really bugs me and as beautiful as the 18" 5 spokes are, they sat in the wheel arches and imo should be 20mm further out. Lined up against the BMW, Audi, Merc's it doesn't have the same stance.

I've seen a forum member DeP has put the Giulia 19"s on. I love these alloys to bits. I have spoke to a guy from Italy who said the 8.5J 19s part number 156112958 with 225/35 R19 will fit fine. He asked if I needed tyre pressure valves??? I don't have a clue. He said he would supply them programmed.

I did consider going down the route of B6 Bilstiens and Eibachs, spacers and keep the 18"s on. But I really don't to start messing around with all that. It's only done 6k and feels like a shame to make such a big change, plus all the potential issues with tracking, towing and stress on bearings.

I'll get to the point... who has 19"s on with standard suspension setup? Any rubbing? Do they "fill" the wheel arches better? Should I still lower the car 30mm to get the desired look?

I need your expertise please.....

On a separate note myself and a friend are heading to the National Alfa meet. Anyone around Chesterfield, Sheffield, Nottingham etc want to go in convoy?

Many thanks, Mark
Mark, where are you from??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback.

I have bit the bullet and just ordered in my eyes, the most beautiful Alloys on the market, direct from Italy.

I don't know if i should try them fitted as standard or just order the Eibachs and spacers now. Alfisti are such a good price compared to the UK.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I have bit the bullet and just ordered in my eyes, the most beautiful Alloys on the market, direct from Italy.

I don't know if i should try them fitted as standard or just order the Eibachs and spacers now. Alfisti are such a good price compared to the UK.
I would start with the spacers first, which will lengthen the track and effectively lower it too (very small amount but may be enough to complete the look your after)..

If it looks anything like the pic of the white one your laughing mate ??
Justin.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I would start with the spacers first, which will lengthen the track and effectively lower it too (very small amount but may be enough to complete the look your after)..

If it looks anything like the pic of the white one your laughing mate ??
Justin.
How do spacers lower the car ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a great rim & tyre calculator. You enter the existing Wheel spec, then the new alloy spec (e.g. 19 x 8.5 j offset 34)
then you can adjust the tyre size accordingly. check it out www.wheel-size.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Based on the new wheel specs the overall tyre will be 13mm closer to the wheel arch, so I I'm hoping I won't need spacers.

If anyone is interested I will be selling the 18" pro drive alloys & tyres once I get my new set. They are off a 2016 car, only coving 6k miles. I checked the tread on all 4 tyres, they all read 7mm at all sections. I'll post some pics if anyones keen.

·
Registered
950 Posts
How do spacers lower the car ?
Do you want me to re-write what I said in the post?
The track is effectivley lengthened which increases leverage so with the weight of the car pushing down the wheels should tuck up more (I did say very slightly).....

Reactions: andypj
1 - 20 of 49 Posts