Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
About to buy me some new alloys, size 8.5x19 ET32 but I'm not sure if they will fit.
The 159 is ET41 standard, and usually +/- 10mm is ok, but still not sure.
Can anybody help me out here?
I've attached the rim I've falling in love with :inlove:

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
They "Should" fit in terms of offset, however whether they will clear the Brembo Calipers is another question, as this is mainly dictated by the wheel design, more than the offset. That being said, the offset would suggest they should stick out further approx 9mm to a standard 159 wheel, so again, they "Should" fit and clear no problem

Another point to note, they are also 1/2" wider than standard 19" 159 wheels, meaning the wheel will be a 1/4" further out and in either way from the mounting point if that makes sence! lol

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
not sure for this particular ones as well.
In practice Italian OZRacing wheels are normally friendly to Alfa big Brembos.
Please also make sure that you would need a center ring 73.1( OZ ) to 65.1 ( afla939 ).
and you would need Oz narrow center ring. Standard ones are not OK.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure for this particular ones as well.
In practice Italian OZRacing wheels are normally friendly to Alfa big Brembos.
Please also make sure that you would need a center ring 73.1( OZ ) to 65.1 ( afla939 ).
and you would need Oz narrow center ring. Standard ones are not OK.
Thank you both for your input :thumbup: :thumbup:
I drove up to the guy selling them, tried them on, and they fit perfect :yes:
But as you, BuonGiorno, writes, I'm gonne need a new centerring.
Other than that, it's all good.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
if you check my gallery, you can see 19" rims that I used as summer tires wheel set (winter is with the 18" AR horseshoe types)

those Tomason TN1s are with the ET30 if I remember correctly.

to clear the Brembos (to be precise, for this rims its shape radially inwards, closer to the axis, demanded some adjustment) I have added 8 mm thick distancers (per side). this gives me few milimeters clearance which is more than good enough (OEM 19" Ti 10 spoke rims have max 5 mm clearence at that position as well).

do not forget to use longer bolts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
mash4077, I checked your pics - what is the tire size you're using? Do you have spacers all around? ET30 + 8mm spacer means ET22, sounds wild:paranoid:. Is there any scrubbing?

·
Registered
625 Posts
mash4077, I checked your pics - what is the tire size you're using? Do you have spacers all around? ET30 + 8mm spacer means ET22, sounds wild:paranoid:. Is there any scrubbing?
spacers were necessary only on the front, to clear the Brembo calipers. on the rear ones you don't need it.

at the moment are all around 235/45R19s, was thinking to move to 245s, since much much cheaper here in Germany.

Although, I was having idea (http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...066-q4-question-technical-answers-please.html) of using wider tires for rear, but seams I have Q4 everybody was screaming not to do so.

regarding your scrubbing question, situation is next:

• I started with 15 mm (per side) distancers, which was sorting the Brembo caliper problem at front leaving aprox positive side of zero clearance between tire/rim and arch when wheel fully loaded, it was creating big problem on the rear, with lot of scrubbing
  • so, i replaced the distancers to bare minimum necessary for calipers and actually removed distancers at the back, when using this Thomasons in summer
  • for winter, when using AR OEMs horseshoes 18" (see also gallery) I removed front distancers only this winter, but had it in place before for both sets of rims
  • for rear AR OEMs horseshoes 18" there is more than enough distance between wheely and arches, so actually I could be adding distancers
  • need to find better distancers, but for me 8 mm per side is good value, 10 mm would be probably ok as well

·
Registered
625 Posts
  • also, if you have a chance to easily return the rims (if they don't fit) I would recommend to do the next: order first only 1 or 2 off them. only rims! this will give you minimal loss if you have problems returning them and refunding them
  • then do the good math preparation via Web page Jaba gave you link for, is really useful
  • if math tells you that there should be no problems, then try to, without full unwrapping the rim, to mount it on one front and one back position and check immediately is the clearance to suspension details ok
  • now, this is where I bite the bullet and went for quasi TÜV testing with mounted tire on the rim (TÜV here tests the wheel installation by raising the car fully, putting very high blocks bellow diagonal wheels (for example front left, rear right) and then lower the car such that almost all weight is only on this 2 wheels, then they check the clearances, including rotating the steering wheel from full left to full right
  • find some high curb (edge between street and side walk) which has nice transition from street side level and with somebodies help (or alone, but slowly not to damage the car) start climbing one wheel on one side of the car; this should bring you to situation where one side is loading diagonal wheels similar to TÜV test; bring your wheel such (if we speak about the front wheel) that you can still turn the steering wheel to both extremes without the raised wheel slipping over the edge of curb and damaging the tire and rim
  • now do the check similar that TÜV guys do, make sure that you have at least 3-5 mm clearance all around the arches and suspension
  • the clearance between brake caliper and inner surfaces of rim could be smaller, but must exist; in the middle of the wheel the deflections are much smaller than at the outer rim radius
  • if this all clears you and even shows some additional space , you might think about the spacers
  • this is some improvised guide line I used (I take no responsibility or liability at all; you do this on your own risk), if you can afford the professional to do this for you, that would be the best!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank's for the info mash4077. I already have the rims (ASA GT1, 8,5x19 ET35) and they have enough clearance for the Brembos, but just enough. The inner edge of the caliber comes very close to the rim... so close that for peace of mind I started to think about fitting 3-5mm spacers (distancers). In my case 5mm distancer means et30 and I think there will still be enough clearance. I've searched the web, but couldn't find fact about maximum ET that 159 can handle with 235 or 245/40-19.

Anyway, I haven't got the tires yet, that's why I asked about the size. 245/40 would be cheaper, but does it look too "fat"? Though it's has only 8mm bigger diameter compared to 235/40-19, it has almost 22mm larger diameter when compared to 225/50-17. It's something that is very difficult to judge without seeing in real life.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Anyway, I haven't got the tires yet, that's why I asked about the size. 245/40 would be cheaper, but does it look too "fat"? Though it's has only 8mm bigger diameter compared to 235/40-19, it has almost 22mm larger diameter when compared to 225/50-17. It's something that is very difficult to judge without seeing in real life.
I use 245s on my winter wheels, you almost don't see difference to 235s. am using this on horseshoe OEM 18"

·
Registered
AR159 SW 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Ti
54 Posts
I was planing on running 235/35R20 front and 275/30R20 rear on my Q-Tronic 2.4 (Stelvio rims, front 9x20 ET29, rear 10x20 ET34), and also adding 4WD housing with shaft and diff in the rear... checked all of it, fronts are basically same as OEM Ti's, although I'm not sure what the scrub radius is on 19" ET41 Ti rims (would like to know if someone knows). For rears, there is plenty of space there, planing to adjust with distances for perfect look.

Any suggestion BTW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts