Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a pot hole incident back in January scarring two of my QV alloy wheels and gouging a tyre.

After many months of emails with the local authorities and their insurer finally they have agreed to pay out!

Happy days, however I need to get some estimates for the works. This possess four possible problems and possibly a can of worms!

Alloy repair
1) every one who quotes for the works has said they will not be able to undertake the repair or guarantee the works. This is due to the way the alloy is made with the machined finish and the the lacquer failing. Although they all suggest they will be able to paint and guarantee a solid colour. Is this true?

Alloy repair
2) if the above is correct and they can't be repaired with a guarantee, then a new pair from the dealer must be the only option?

Tyre replacement
3) although only 1 rear tyre was damaged the tyre companies recommend replacing in pairs! Is this correct?

Tyre replacement
4) I currently have Bridgestone Potenza on all four corners. Do I (A) get new Bridgestone or do I (B) get Continental sport 2 and slam them on the front.

Any advice would be great?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
636 Posts
Had a pot hole incident back in January scarring two of my QV alloy wheels and gouging a tyre.

After many months of emails with the local authorities and their insurer finally they have agreed to pay out!

Happy days, however I need to get some estimates for the works. This possess four possible problems and possibly a can of worms!

Alloy repair
1) every one who quotes for the works has said they will not be able to undertake the repair or guarantee the works. This is due to the way the alloy is made with the machined finish and the the lacquer failing. Although they all suggest they will be able to paint and guarantee a solid colour. Is this true?

Alloy repair
2) if the above is correct and they can't be repaired with a guarantee, then a new pair from the dealer must be the only option?

Tyre replacement
3) although only 1 rear tyre was damaged the tyre companies recommend replacing in pairs! Is this correct?

Tyre replacement
4) I currently have Bridgestone Potenza on all four corners. Do I (A) get new Bridgestone or do I (B) get Continental sport 2 and slam them on the front.

Any advice would be great?

1/2) Very few places will refurb them - they'll need to be recut and lacquered. Personally, I'd try my luck at getting the council to pay for a new pair, or maybe a pair of WSPItaly copies. If the council's admitted liability - tell them you can't refurbish them and they wont have much choice.

3) 100% - you should only replace them in pairs.

4) Personal preference. I just put Goodyear Eagles on mine (replacing the Pirelli P-Zeros) and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1/2) Very few places will refurb them - they'll need to be recut and lacquered. Personally, I'd try my luck at getting the council to pay for a new pair, or maybe a pair of WSPItaly copies. If the council's admitted liability - tell them you can't refurbish them and they wont have much choice.

3) 100% - you should only replace them in pairs.

4) Personal preference. I just put Goodyear Eagles on mine (replacing the Pirelli P-Zeros) and couldn't be happier.
Sound advice sir, thank you.

Looks like HWM my alfa dealer will be getting a call in the morning for a price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Similar problem here! I'm needing a repair on the 18" 'three spoke' alloys at the moment and trying to find the best option. Hoping some new ones aren't the answer (not enough £££!) but have come across some people using a metal putty filler, wet/dry sand and primer combination, then a repaint or powder coat but not sure how it would turn out and if the diamond cut alloy is a different story. The results are v good on the ones i have seen!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Similar problem here! I'm needing a repair on the 18" 'three spoke' alloys at the moment and trying to find the best option. Hoping some new ones aren't the answer (not enough £££!) but have come across some people using a metal putty filler, wet/dry sand and primer combination, then a repaint or powder coat but not sure how it would turn out and if the diamond cut alloy is a different story. The results are v good on the ones i have seen!
I had my 3 spoke diamond cut alloys done by powdertec in Glasgow about 18 months ago after a disaster with a pothole. They had the wheels for 7 days though! good finish however mines have started to corrode again!:cry:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my 3 spoke diamond cut alloys done by powdertec in Glasgow about 18 months ago after a disaster with a pothole. They had the wheels for 7 days though! good finish however mines have started to corrode again!:cry:
that would be ideal, the time isn't too much of a problem, i'll get in touch with them thanks! ach that's the worst part of them but they look awesome.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As others have said repairing diamond cut wheels can be a complete ball ache so if you can get new ones out of them do so.

As for the tyres, If your Bridgestones are pretty much brand new then you can get away with getting another however if they've done a few miles replace the pair with a set of new rubber. Personal preferences of mine are the CSC5 and F1s. Bridgestones are fine but a bit firmer and as pointed out very popular with the "VTec just kicked in YO!!!!" crowd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts