Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I purchased a 147 gta a few months back and was after some advice on a wheel upgrade. The car I bought has 18" after market alloys with 40 profile tyres. They're 5 spoke wheels which I don't think reall suit the car, and in any case have a few scuffs which make the car untidy. I've been looking into the OZ super/ultra leggera's which seem quite a popular choice with the 147 (and cos they have a lot of space around the spokes I think drilled discs will really look the part). I'm trying to decide whether to go with the 18 or 19". I'm just a little worried about scraping arches with the 19". I already scrape the sump guard a bit at speed bumps but I suppose larger wheels could possibly help this. The car is lowered already although I'm not sure by how much or with what spring/shock kit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also I'm looking at getting a Q2 diff fitted. Does anyone know of anyone in Newcastle/North East that could do this without paying extortionate prices?

Cheers

Danny

PS Great work from all on the forum. I've spent hours looking over the posts in the last few months! :p

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I have 19" forged superleggeras on mine so you can't have em :p

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I'm trying to decide whether to go with the 18 or 19". I'm just a little worried about scraping arches with the 19". I already scrape the sump guard a bit at speed bumps but I suppose larger wheels could possibly help this.
19s won't help the scraping because you will want to go with a lower-profile tyre; you aim to keep the overall diameter (and rolling circumference) the same. so it won't 'raise' the car in any way.

usual tyres on 19s for the GTA are 225/35. though this generally means the 'load index' of the tyre drops below the alfa specification of 91. this may impact on your insurance (not sure what things are like over there), so you may need to go with 235/35.

19s certainly 'look' better, and if you choose the right tyre, the ride comfort will not suffer. i have 225/35 in Toyo Proxes4; very comfortable tyre. though my next set will be Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics in 235/35 for reasons of the LI.

19s and their tyres will cost more. they will also weigh more. so long as the offset of the wheel is suitable, 'rubbing' should not be an issue. my 19x8.5" wheels have an offset of +35mm, and with the 225/35 tyres, no rub at all on my GT.

:)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
19s won't help the scraping because you will want to go with a lower-profile tyre; you aim to keep the overall diameter (and rolling circumference) the same. so it won't 'raise' the car in any way.

usual tyres on 19s for the GTA are 225/35. though this generally means the 'load index' of the tyre drops below the alfa specification of 91. this may impact on your insurance (not sure what things are like over there), so you may need to go with 235/35.

19s certainly 'look' better, and if you choose the right tyre, the ride comfort will not suffer. i have 225/35 in Toyo Proxes4; very comfortable tyre. though my next set will be Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics in 235/35 for reasons of the LI.

19s and their tyres will cost more. they will also weigh more. so long as the offset of the wheel is suitable, 'rubbing' should not be an issue. my 19x8.5" wheels have an offset of +35mm, and with the 225/35 tyres, no rub at all on my GT.

I have P Zero Nero on mine and the load index is 91Y, however a new set of tyres was bought for my car just before I purchased it, admittedly they were bought from kiwkfit but the bill was over £700.

Shiny the 19" Superleggera's are forged and iirc are a shade under 11KG per wheel.

Dan, if your determined to go down the Superleggera route there are some pics of my car here.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-images-registered-only/121591-bored-yet.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-images-registered-only/120393-sunset-gta.html

Sean

·
7,713 Posts
I have P Zero Nero on mine and the load index is 91Y
yeah? what size tyre is it? a quick check of the website says the 225/35/19 has a LI of 88, which is typical of other brands in this size from my research.

Shiny the 19" Superleggera's are forged and iirc are a shade under 11KG per wheel.
i was referring to 19" vs 18" of the same wheel (even including the tyre). ;) sorry, i should have been more specific. :p

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
yeah? what size tyre is it? a quick check of the website says the 225/35/19 has a LI of 88, which is typical of other brands in this size from my research.

i was referring to 19" vs 18" of the same wheel (even including the tyre). ;) sorry, i should have been more specific. :p

235/35 just checked

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice looking car there sean! :p

After seeing those wheels i think the 18" will look too small in comparison...........so 19's it is! Not 100% decided on the wheel model yet. And with it coming up to winter i'm thinking it might be better to wait a few more months and get them fresh for the spring when the salt is off the roads.

I do like the BBS LM's as well but £500+ a wheel is a bit expensive.

Cheers for the advice :) :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing, gold or crystal?? I'm thinking more towards the crystal at the moment but think gold could look good with the black?? :)

·
7,713 Posts
crystal. gold makes me think of subaru STi's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts