Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

In late September, after searching for three months, I bought a 2007 reg 3.2V6 GT (23,000 miles) in Stromboli Grey and red Leather. I had sold my JTD GT in June.

Its a fanatastic car but last Friday coming out of a multi storey I scraped the front near side wheel against the kerb. Not much damage, just a scrape.

I am getting it done this week (40£) but I have to leave the car on axle stands or a jack as there is no spare, just the stuff to repair punctures.

I know the GT 18" alloys are like 'hens teeth', so is there a 18" steel wheel that could be used as spare?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
You can use a normal space saver, it will make the car unbalanced but then its just there to get you home safe...but here is the issue the spacesaver won't fit on the front wheels due to the large brake calipers, hence why a lot of people dont carry them. you end up having to switch the front wheels to back if you get a puncture.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Yes I take your point. What I was really after was a steel wheel that would fit front and back wheels (to take account of the large brake calipers)

Cheers anyway

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You can use a normal space saver, it will make the car unbalanced but then its just there to get you home safe...but here is the issue the spacesaver won't fit on the front wheels due to the large brake calipers, hence why a lot of people dont carry them. you end up having to switch the front wheels to back if you get a puncture.
Yes but if you read the manual it says the space saver should be put on a non driving wheel and the good wheel put on the front so negating the problem of spacesaver on the front wheel and caliper clearance. :p

Hi

In late September, after searching for three months, I bought a 2007 reg 3.2V6 GT (23,000 miles) in Stromboli Grey and red Leather. I had sold my JTD GT in June.

Its a fanatastic car but last Friday coming out of a multi storey I scraped the front near side wheel against the kerb. Not much damage, just a scrape.

I am getting it done this week (40£) but I have to leave the car on axle stands or a jack as there is no spare, just the stuff to repair punctures.

I know the GT 18" alloys are like 'hens teeth', so is there a 18" steel wheel that could be used as spare?

I swaped from the gunk to a space saver on my GTA. Autolusso or someone will have one you can purchase. It will be a 15 or maybe a 16 if you are lucky but they are rare as i understand it. Just stick it on the back like alfa suggest. ;):thumbs: problem solved

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I can't get my head around how if you got a front tyre puncture on V6 you would change wheels. Wouldn't u need 2 jacks, one to lift the front up while u hip the wheel off, the other to lift he back up while u get the back wheel off to put it on the front so u can put the space saver on the rear. You wouldn't catch me jacking a car up midway along the sill.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I can't get my head around how if you got a front tyre puncture on V6 you would change wheels. Wouldn't u need 2 jacks, one to lift the front up while u hip the wheel off, the other to lift he back up while u get the back wheel off to put it on the front so u can put the space saver on the rear. You wouldn't catch me jacking a car up midway along the sill.
jack rear put spare on then jack front replace wheel you took off from the rear

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that's what assumed

But the best thing is what I had with a 3.0litre 166. A fifth full sized alloy in the boot. In other words a proper spare, then everything is covered

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
I don't think there is a steel Alfa wheel that will cover the front calipers. You will have to jack up the back to take off a rear wheel, put any old alloy/steel on the back, then put the back wheel on the front.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Pud
Yes that makes sense. #

I suppose the spare from my 2003 (interior facelift) 1.8 TS SW will go on the back and, as you say, I can then put the rear wheel on the front while the wheel is re-furbed?

Still having a spare like my 166 had makes life a lot simpler

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
jack rear put spare on then jack front replace wheel you took off from the rear
:eek:
And to think I used to be good at lateral thinking, what a donkey!

·
Registered
106 Posts
SEAT wheels have the same PCD and offset as Alfa's that is to say 5 x 98mm ET37, they may be more plentiful and propably cheaper.

L

·
0 Posts
As PUD said not many steel or alloy rims would clear the Brembo brakes. one option would be to buy a spare 16" or 17" alloy with 15mm hubcentric spacer & 5 longer bolts.

PUD's suggestion of fitting spare to the rear & a full sized alloy to the front is a logical one.

At least that way you could have a 15, 16 or 17 alloy as a full ( rear only ) spare [ which is much safer than a skinny ] without needing any spacers & additional longer bolts.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay thanks guys. I will go with Puds suggestion I think and get a 16" steel, maybe Seat sourced.

I have been told that if I found another 18" alloy it would make the boot floor/spare wheel cover stick up.

Thanks

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
Okay thanks guys. I will go with Puds suggestion I think and get a 16" steel, maybe Seat sourced.

I have been told that if I found another 18" alloy it would make the boot floor/spare wheel cover stick up.

Thanks
I think any standard alloy/steel wheel would make the carpet stick up. An original Alfa space saver spare wheel would be fine.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The other day I was browsing through the manual of my GTA with Loz from Autolusso and I noticed in the back that the tele, multi and these ones in the picture were mentioned. I believe it is because they fit over 330's Don't know why but that was the only conclusion we could come to as to why they were specifically in the GTA manual.

Attachments

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
There is masses of clearance behind the 16" Lusso wheel, but I dunno if a 16" wheel would clear the 330 disc. I'm almost certain it would clear a GTA with 305s on.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
There is masses of clearance behind the 16" Lusso wheel, but I dunno if a 16" wheel would clear the 330 disc. I'm almost certain it would clear a GTA with 305s on.
Maybe they never updated the manual from when the GTA had 305's. Sound exactly like alfa :lol::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts