Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a realistic average mpg figure for a relatively steadily driven 1750 ti s/w? 34mpg is often quoted, but is it realistic?

Cheers

Ant

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Depends entirely on your driving pattern.

Stop start in town expect 25mpg, longer runs 35 plus at a guess.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, on that basis, around 30mpg. I'm retired now and don't drive anything like as much as I used to so fuel consumption isn't as important as it was, but as a pensioner it's still significant.

I used to get around 30mpg from my old Scimitar GTE back in the 70s and I used to drive that like a lunatic I'm ashamed to say. Oh no, perhaps I'm not!

Thanks Tata4Now for the interesting link. Say it all.

Ant

·
Registered
775 Posts
I get 23 mpg average with cold climate, 5 miles to work and no single straight on the road, half of it is uphill and other part downhill.

Long run with cruise control at 60mph gave me about 27-28 mpg

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/763169-turbo-benzina-vs-the-dark-lord-of-death-aka-diesel.html#post11169849

Translation:

~35mpg with lazy DERV style driving. (No traffic, change up quickly, never exceed 65mph)
~23mpg with normal fun driving.
~20mpg if you absolutely cane the crap out of it on a high speed road without ever using 5th or 6th.
bloody hell, with lazy derv driving (in my lazy derv) I can get 80 MPG... 35 Mpg is nightmare-ishly low for me. I expect 40 Mpg in the cane-the-crap out of it category...

but mine uses the other fuel despite being equally fast to a 159 tbi...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I get around 28 around town and +35 on longer runs.
I used to have the 2.2 petrol 159, but this 1.75TBi is much better, even using the Shell +fuel.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
A bit off topic, but I've always wondered if the M32 gearbox has problems on the TBI like it does on the 1.9. I only seem to see the odd turbo problem on the TBI, maybe it's just too new, but there aren't many problem threads. If they're not that problematic, I wouldn't worry about losing 7-11mpg over a diesel with similar power.

Mind you, you'd have to pay a lot more for a TBI TI than a Diesel TI.

·
Registered
194 Posts
bloody hell, with lazy derv driving (in my lazy derv) I can get 80 MPG... 35 Mpg is nightmare-ishly low for me. I expect 40 Mpg in the cane-the-crap out of it category...

Is your 2L DERV remapped? How can it be as fast as the 159 Tbi?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Is your 2L DERV remapped? How can it be as fast as the 159 Tbi?
I'm guessing that guy drives a G hatchback.
If that's the case it's not really relevant to this thread.
Probably half the weight of a 159 :lol:.

Lo and behold, he's beat my post by seconds. Yes, a 'G' :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm guessing that guy drives a G hatchback.
If that's the case it's not really relevant to this thread.
Probably half the weight of a 159 :lol:.

Lo and behold, he's beat my post by seconds. Yes, a 'G' :rolleyes:.
HA !
I shall now sleep (with very slight smirk / smile upon my ageing face)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

but on the other hand yours sounds like a bag of spanners and doesn't have the interior or exterior style of the 159 ;)

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Alfa Romeo 159 1750 TBI vs Alfa Romeo Giulietta III 2.0 JTDm 170 TCT
Oh okay, if were comparing apples and oranges*:

I'm only getting 31mpg out of my tractor.
(70-90kph roads, zero traffic.)

Proof that DERVs aren't as good as they a cracked up to be.

:rolleyes:

*i.e. completely different cars and engines

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If you nurse it along the motorway you'll get 35, but where's the fun in that?

My long term average over a year's driving was 24.5 mpg (didn't change post remap), which was pretty poor - but expected, so I wasn't disappointed. With the remap it was quite a rapid machine

For reference my previous car, Mazda 6 2.5 petrol averaged 29.5. Giulietta 1.4tb that I had for a couple of weeks averaged 34

1 - 20 of 40 Posts