Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I twice had to reverse up steep inclines
and both times I got really bad clutch burn.

Anyone else notice this?

(Never had it on the Brera.)

If I don't give it some gas the car stalls.
Giving it more revs and clutch burn ensues.

It's not the 1st time I've noticed it....

Bad technique or something wrong?

:confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I noticed the same thing having to execute a 5 point parking maneuver to get into a steep corner parking slot recently. Needed plenty of revs and clutch smell resulted. I can only think of 2 other times in 25 years of driving when I smelt so much clutch.

Mine is a 2.0 JTDm so you would think it should have enough torque?

I've always been careful with the clutch as my father used to only say two things to me when he taught me to drive. One was a constant wailing of 'my clutch, my clutch' no matter how well I started. And the other was a distinct shout of BRAKE when we were about a mile from any junction. My mother, however, taught me how to power out of corners with a bit of oversteer.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Nev, I've had this in my current 159 as well, 1.9 JTDm, but not since the clutch was replaced around 10,000 miles ago. The start of a sliping clutch:confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plot thickens....

Thanks for the inputs guys. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My MiTo does the same thing nev

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think pick up from low revs on the 1750 is probably the only issue with the engine. Once or twice now i've tried to do a fast pull off to get across busy junctions etc and noticed the engine gets bogged down. You have to dip the clutch and then give it more revs and re-engage pretty quickly or its stalls. Definitely a characteristic of the engine IMHO. Maybe its all that torque at low revs, the turbo kicking in or just the scavaging technology but its the only Alfa I've ever found it happen on. (Tried most engines in the 159 and the Mito and never found this elsewhere?)
Guessing its the same issue just in reverse :)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
My 1.9jtdm 159 did exactly the same.

A good friend lives in the Malvern hills, his road is very steep, trying to reverse out of a parking space caused either a stall or a burning clutch!

Glad it wasn't just me...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Agree with GDCBones. Same "feature" here. I am sure it is an anti-car-jack feature, a hidden one. It is NOT intended to make you look stupid, like somebody who can't drive a car properly.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts