Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So at 12 today I headed down to the hardware store to pick up parts for the weedeater. On my way back to the GTV I see a gentleman from the petrol station next door signalling for me to wait. So I wait, he compliments me on the car and we start chatting and it turns out he's a retired engineer originally from Pretoria and restoring a 1750 and wouldn't I want to have a look.

So he takes me to a garage behind his office where I see what has to be the most beautiful GTV I've seen in a while. It's only a shell now, but the parts going into it are being restored so well. We chatted for a while about Alfas, our love for the older cars, the regret of not importing more when the exchange rate was kinder and his SL resto while my wife was trying unsuccessfully to get hold of me for an appointment I no longer cared for. I left one friend richer and with some inkling of how I should organise a proper resto. As I walked back to my car, I couldn't help feeling a twinge of guilt for pushing my old bella so hard and only spending on her gym fees and trainers. I think I'll be springing for a major resto next year. She's been good to me for most of the five years we've known each other, so why not?

I got some nice contacts as well - Leather Tech in Pretoria for dash restos and the Ferreiras in the Cape for bodywork. Replacing sills, floors and the sprayjob was R14k, which is approximately 2/3 of what I expected to pay.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pics really don't tell the full story. Everything is cleaned and boxed. He takes kinks out of bumpers and the polishing work himself.

His office is filled with models of many of my favourite cars. Ian, he's a CARC member as well so we probably will see one of his cars on a run soon! Great guy to chat to. I'll intro you if we're all together at a meeting at some point.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
So at 12 today I headed down to the hardware store to pick up parts for the weedeater. On my way back to the GTV I see a gentleman from the petrol station next door signalling for me to wait. So I wait, he compliments me on the car and we start chatting and it turns out he's a retired engineer originally from Pretoria and restoring a 1750 and wouldn't I want to have a look.

So he takes me to a garage behind his office where I see what has to be the most beautiful GTV I've seen in a while. It's only a shell now, but the parts going into it are being restored so well. We chatted for a while about Alfas, our love for the older cars, the regret of not importing more when the exchange rate was kinder and his SL resto while my wife was trying unsuccessfully to get hold of me for an appointment I no longer cared for. I left one friend richer and with some inkling of how I should organise a proper resto. As I walked back to my car, I couldn't help feeling a twinge of guilt for pushing my old bella so hard and only spending on her gym fees and trainers. I think I'll be springing for a major resto next year. She's been good to me for most of the five years we've known each other, so why not?

I got some nice contacts as well - Leather Tech in Pretoria for dash restos and the Ferreiras in the Cape for bodywork. Replacing sills, floors and the sprayjob was R14k, which is approximately 2/3 of what I expected to pay.
Beautiful! Love classic Alfas!

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Bertone GTs in white just ooze class..... makes me think.....I have to respray much of mine anyway ....

·
Registered
655 Posts
Lovevthe colour , looks awesome . That's a good contact for dashboards as I'm trying to restore a 1971 1600 Junior by correspondence . Car is in SA at my dads place while I'm in UK . The only thing I can't sourc here is vinyl for dash at th moment as their a 3 month waiting order . I will give them a call . Thanks fo posting their name . If anyone else knows of good dash guys gauteng please post .

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
White Bertones are beautiful, aren't they? What really struck me was the price of the bodywork. It is comforting to know that sills can be fabricated locally. The bodywork did take 14 months though...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I must go visit this guy seeing as I have an almost restored 1750...will take it for a drive to him one day. Although scared my body restoration is going to look shabby next to that car!! :wow:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I must go visit this guy seeing as I have an almost restored 1750...will take it for a drive to him one day. Although scared my body restoration is going to look shabby next to that car!! :wow:
Oh...forgot you were in CT El...that ain't gonna happen!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh...forgot you were in CT El...that ain't gonna happen!
Did you take the GTV with you to GP? Or is it being restored in the old country?

When we walked back to my car, I could tell he wanted me to open the hood and doors to have a look, but I was so embarrassed. So I showed him the incorrect parts of my interior through my window and told him sheepishly about how I prefer spending making sure that the engine and suspension are in great order so I can enjoy the car like it was done in the 70s. I was going to share my feelings on garage queens, but somehow it seemed less convincing after looking at his car:eek:!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts