Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I bought this 1969 1750 GTV last summer, it had been sat in a garage near to me since 1983. It's in a sorry state and requires a lot of work. I paid 4K for it (please tell me that's a fair price) and for the last few months I've been considering selling it on due to the amount of work required but I've decided I will definitely keep it and fully restore it. I had a 2000 GTV a few years back but sold it as it needed lots of welding, I always regretted selling that one which is why jumped on this when it was offered to me. I've restored a classic ford before so I kinda know what's in store! So the car... started of silver but was painted red in the late 70s, it fully complete and has all the correct bits it should have (as far as I can tell) it's going to need the usual panels; floor pans, sills, front panel, rear panel, boot floor, a & b post repairs etc etc. I plan on doing it myself except paint work. It came with a few spare parts from a 2000 gtv, bonnet, glass, brakes, suspension, grill etc. I won't go on too long so I'll just add a few pics as it came and as it sits now in my garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Keep at it!

Looks a bit like the Lancia Beta I bought last summer, rust wise. GTV values are such that I'm sure you'll get your money back if you want to get out of it, but , as you say, a long term project, could be very worthwhile. Good luck and keep s posted.
Richard

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Few more pics then that's it for now until I start emptying it out. I need to sort my garage out then I'll get it up on stands and look over it thoroughly.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm up north in the Lake District, near Windermere. I joined the Alfab bb which is great but seems to be mainly American owners, this forum seems to have more uk based owners which I suspect might be more helpful when/if I need to compare/take notes from another car.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
the black plate is the type (aka "tipo") plate and the 105.45 designation is for a GTV 1750 veloce RHD or CKD ('Completely knocked down': for example south african builds etc) model.

the chassis # 1451823, according to Fusi (see link below) actually falls into the 1970 range for 'G.d' (Guida destra, ie. RHD) cars, for which the orig. engine, if present, would be numbered between 00548.45485 and 00548.138077

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Scans of Fusi's Production Numbers (from "Tutte le Vetture dal 1910")

EDIT: Fusi btw is not always 100% correct. If your registration documents say first registered in 69, then it must be a 69 or maybe slightly earlier.
the correct details (type, exact date of manufacture, when first delivered, original exterior colour and interior etc) can be got from the alfa historic archives, for 40 euros (email) or 70 euros (letter)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I've checked the engine type mark and it show the mk1 1750 sign so I think it is the original one, I'll look for the number and check it. So CKD, what does that mean exactly.

·
AO COTY Winner 2018
152 Posts
Hi Lawso.

Firstly for that age 1750mk1 I think you bought at a good price.

Don’t think you have a south African built car, as whilst RHD, your speedo is in mph. If it was SA it would be in kmh. I have an Italian built 71 supplied to Nairobi, RHD but speedo in kliks.

Don’t worry about the location of the websites. I find alfabb better for technical help, this site ok for general stuff on the classics.

You can buy ready done shells for 10k, but it depends what you find...... I’m expecting you’ll need complete underside, floors, sills, boot etc...
As soon as you start touching the sills you will need to be careful about getting the door alignment set up.....search that on alfabb.

A GOOD restored car of your type seems to be easily getting 30-35k. The good restored ones sell quick...the **** ones sit around.

Whilst pretty much all parts are available from Alfaholics, classicalfa, Highwood, OKP etc.... there are a LOT of parts that are no wear near as good as the original factory stuff. So careful pick the original bits you can refurbish/repair vs what might seem like the easy route of clicking and buying new. New not always best.

Good luck. Expect a journey. It will be expensive. But do it right and you will come out the other side with
A a profit
B a car you want to keep and be buried in.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Good luck with the resto, CKD means cars were shipped out to various countries , India, SA etc, in boxes of bits and reassembled in destination countries, that way avoiding high import duties, if yours was SA it might not have quite so much rust............keep us posted

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like the original engine then as the number is in the right range, also it states first registered 24/02/1969, anyway thanks for the input so far, I'll post again once I start emptying it and thoroughly examining it to see the extent of the corrosion

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Congrats on you buy. Lots of work will be needed but it will be worth a lot more if you do it right (from ground up). GTV's are sough after Alfas.
I've had a Spider 1750 (1970) and the 1750 are the sweetest of the larger Alfa engines. The 2000s are a bit more rough.
Good luck on your restoration.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Nice buy, you’ve got what many would consider the most sort after model so that’s a good start. There’s certainly lots to do but it will all be worth it.
I’m slowly starting the restoration of my 73 2000 GTV so I look forward to seeing yours progress.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So no real progress yet but I have taken all the rubbish and spare glass from inside the car, so now I have a rather good condition interior which is a bonus. The rear seat base had some heavy indents where the spare screen was sat, so I removed it and sat it in the sun for an hour, it's much improved and after a quick wash it's came up great.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think you did well there. If you ever want to move her on... I had a test drive of Dark Blue one in Sydney years ago, even put a deposit down, but Finally I had to admit to using my travelling money for erm travelling...

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Looks like a good base for a project, I’m seven years into the restoration of my 1750 mk 1, finally looking at getting it top coated now having completed welding, interior and underside paint and re fitting the rolling gear ( minus engine ).

Funnily enough mine came from the Lake District too, Caldwell. I bought it as a runner in 2004 and used it as a rally car until 2009, by which time I’d pretty much killed it.

Ps I’m looking for a grill for a 2000 GTV, are you looking to sell that at all?.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I think there is a grill lying in the boot, all the parts that came with it were off a 2000GTV I'll dig it out this weekend and see what condition it's in.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts