Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm hopeless with cars you can't connect Alfa Diag to... and my 1750 is one of them.... i'm so excited though, even though she didn't start this morning, i just had to share the experience with you guys..

Picked her up from the Classic Car Club in Sharjah (registration and insurance and club membership paperwork all done), yesterday afternoon and had a very interesting drive home, with all sorts of people waving at me and hooting and shouting "Nice Car"... i never get that kind of attention even in my GTA, so my 1750 is now the coolest Alfa i have ever owned...:cool: :cool:

Anyway, back to the story... drove her home with one of the lights in the dash on the whole time... its the light below the generati or something light... it says frescati or something like that... anyway this light was on the whole time i drove home and in the morning today she would not even turn the starter, so the battery is completely dead and i think now in retrospect that the light is he ignition light.. can't read italian...:mad:

The accelerator cable felt like it was sticking the whole time though and the revs stayed at 1500 - 2000 so was a bit tricky pulling off at the lights, little burnouts:D

Questions

How do i fix the sticking accelerator feeling so that it can idle normally?
What are the two rectangular lights in the speedo console mentioned before for?
What oil does she use?
How do i check the oil level, could not see a dipstick when i checked this morning... maybe too much excitement..?
Some vibration in 4th gear at about 100kmh... what causes that?

Guys, any help ideas are welcome.... now i can officially post on this forum... woo hooo.. i'm so excited..:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Maurizio, just took delivery yesterday and took this in the morning after it failed to start, thats the arse of the 166 in the foreground... wifey drove me to work today...

After work, i'm going to buy a battery... step 1, i'm also waiting for all the experts here to give me info on what to do next...

i'm still smiling... inexplicbly so.. actually since yesterday i have been smiling..

Will take some pictures after the carwash run on saturday...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Great stuff! Excellent choice of car!
:D

Easy one first. If it's on carbs the dipstick is tucked down near the distributor. If it's on injection it's round the other side "somewhere".

You know, I can't picture where the warning lights are. There's one for the heater fan, one for oil pressure and one for ignition but without looking I can't remember where what is! :eek: Mitch might know, if not I will look tonight.

The accelerator linkage is quite a complex series of rods and pivots. It connects underneath the carbs. Just work through making sure everything can move freely. Check too that both small levers under the dashboard are pushed completely in - one is the choke, the other is a hand throttle - and it sounds like yours might be out slightly.

Oil needs to be a decent multigrade 20/50 but they also work well on more modern grades like 10/40 or even 10/60 which is what I use in mine, and given the temperatures where you live that might not be a bad idea! The sump is huge - about 6.5 litres so don't just buy one 5litre can if you do a change. Yours should have the old canister style oil filter too - look for a big bucket thing beneath the alternator. Filters are still readily available from the Usual Suspects, all of which are happy to post overseas.
Propshaft vibration is not uncommon. If it's only felt at one speed I would suggest living with it until it gets unbearable!! There's a number of joints, bearnings and supports in the prop and really they could all do with sorting at once unless you have the patience of a saint!

Enjoy the car, and get some more pics up!!
:cool:

·
Registered
480 Posts
After work, i'm going to buy a battery... step 1, i'm also waiting for all the experts here to give me info on what to do next...
You may not need a new battery, it is the charging circuit that is not working and even that may be simple to fix. Check that the fan belt is tight and that the connections for battery and alternator are secure.

You will need to get the car going again to check further so you will need to get a battery charger or a jump/push start. Once you have the car running you need to check the voltage across the battery, it should be around 14V. If it is 12.5V then it means the alternator needs fixing.

Good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you guys.... this is why AO is so cool. You always get help when you need it..:)

I've printed it all and going to go step by step with my mechanic today... after work..

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Congrats on the "new" Bertie Stephen. Top choice! :thumbs:

Rick has already mentioned the hand throttle - I kept thinking it was the choke when I first got mine :eek: .

You asked about the dipstick too. It is down by the distributor, below and forward of the carbs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice GTV Stephen - and top marks on getting a 1750 too if I may say so :thumbs:

the 2 warning lights in the speedo are the generator and the heater fan - the Italian ones have the heater fan labelled 'Riscaldi' - which is probably what you meant by 'friscati'??

anyway - the heater fan works independently of the ign. switch and is quite easy to leave on by mistake! :cheese: - my guess is that you may have done exactly that - which will undoubtedly have flattened the battery.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Yup sounds like you've got the answer to the flattened battery, it's easy to leave things on as most things are direct wired rather than through the ignition switch. It's well worth putting an isolator switch on the earth strap from the battery so you can turn it off when it's not in use.

Not sure about your sticking throttle, it could just be the idle settings, it's easy enough to have the idle set quite high, mine is set to about 1200rpm, though at times it seems to tick over at about 600rpm, it obviously needs adjusting and setting properly and it could be that yours is the same.

Anyway good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy her:)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice GTV Stephen - and top marks on getting a 1750 too if I may say so :thumbs:

the 2 warning lights in the speedo are the generator and the heater fan - the Italian ones have the heater fan labelled 'Riscaldi' - which is probably what you meant by 'friscati'??

anyway - the heater fan works independently of the ign. switch and is quite easy to leave on by mistake! :cheese: - my guess is that you may have done exactly that - which will undoubtedly have flattened the battery.
Thanks, yeah i'm feeling great at the moment, loving everything about this car. Went to the workshop yesterday, took the battery from my GTA and put it into the 1750, flipped the heater switch and now she's sorted... you are 100% correct... and thanks for the translation....

Yup sounds like you've got the answer to the flattened battery, it's easy to leave things on as most things are direct wired rather than through the ignition switch. It's well worth putting an isolator switch on the earth strap from the battery so you can turn it off when it's not in use.

Not sure about your sticking throttle, it could just be the idle settings, it's easy enough to have the idle set quite high, mine is set to about 1200rpm, though at times it seems to tick over at about 600rpm, it obviously needs adjusting and setting properly and it could be that yours is the same.

Anyway good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy her:)
Hey Mitch, my mechanic is an older chap, been around from the days before fuel injection.., so he seemed very at home with the car, he knew which screw to turn on the carb to change the revving, so he managed to get it down to about 600, but just like yours she revs now at about 1200 in traffic.. strange but i don't care, i'm still smiling...:) :)

He cleaned the whole engine bay for me with deisel and polished all the bits and the car looked really nice after he was done...

drove her to work today... more smiles.... :) :)

Thanks guys for the advice.. much appreciated...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, the light you are on about sounds like the warning light for the in car heating, this will stay on when you take the key out as it is permanently live on my car, thus the flat battery. I have the same car and have the biggest smile on my face when i am in the car and have the nicest comments from people at filling stations and allong the side of the road. I'm not sure about the light thing, but see how you go. keep in touch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Stephen,

Interesting to see your post, I am in Sharjah also, teaching at AUS. In my time here I haven't seen a classic Alfa, other than the Fiat produced models. I would love to see your GTV and always enjoy talking Alfas, having had several over the years-- Giulia Spider, Alfetta GT, and am currently reconstructing a 74 GTV back home (slow going though.) Give me a call and we can meet up sometime.

I understand that cars older than 10 years will eventually be taken off the roads here-- is this likely to happen? Did you get classic registration for the Alfa? I would like to know more about this because I'd like to bring my Vespa over here to ride around campus, but it's 27 years old, another italian classic. Not sure how this is going to work. Feel free to get in touch; mobile 050 171 7735.

--Bob D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Stephen,

Interesting to see your post, I am in Sharjah also, teaching at AUS. In my time here I haven't seen a classic Alfa, other than the Fiat produced models. I would love to see your GTV and always enjoy talking Alfas, having had several over the years-- Giulia Spider, Alfetta GT, and am currently reconstructing a 74 GTV back home (slow going though.) Give me a call and we can meet up sometime.

I understand that cars older than 10 years will eventually be taken off the roads here-- is this likely to happen? Did you get classic registration for the Alfa? I would like to know more about this because I'd like to bring my Vespa over here to ride around campus, but it's 27 years old, another italian classic. Not sure how this is going to work. Feel free to get in touch; mobile 050 171 7735.

--Bob D
Hey there Bob D...

Yes, the RTA has passed a new rule that says if you're car is older than 10 years, you cannot resell it, as they new owner will not be able to register it in his name..

The RTA has also passed another rule which basically states that if you're car is older than 20 years, it cannot be registered period... so this means all cars pre 1988 are going to be scrapped... they plan to do this over time, by not renewing licence plates etc..
I'm lucky as my residence visa is from Sharjah and since RTA is a Dubai authority, that rule does not really apply..

The ruler of Sharjah, His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Al Qassimi has ruled that the Sharjah Ministry of Arts and Culture is to start a classic car club and a museum. The Sheikh is a classic car owner himself with over 100 cars to his name, so this was a really cool move by him if you ask me.. anyway..

If you have a Sharjah visa like me, then i can help sort you out and introduce you to my friend Saqr Mohammed, who is the Manager of the Classic Car Club. The Vespa will go through Tasjeel at the club, and get all the tests and paperwork done by the club, everything will cost about AED 2000 including club membership.. I also know a company that will insure old motor vehicles, cos you can forget about going to AXA, and all the other big names...

Cheers..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts