Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I know for the most part I'm probably preaching to the converted but the new 1750 in our GQV's is a seriously impressive thing. I've owned several turbo-charged cars over the years but this is hands down on another level. There are a few things that stand out for me.

First off, it likes to rev which is not the case with many turbo-charged cars. It is smooth and eager and even the bit of over-rev between power peak and redline is effortless. When I do get the opportunity to open it up its almost like it's telling me that's more like it, stop driving like an old fart! My GMA was not like that at all and even my 2.0 Twinspark wasn't too happy at the top and that was NA.

Secondly, there is no turbo-lag. Alfa really is onto something with their scavenging technology. It pulls with gusto from right at the bottom which is very impressive. Every other turbo car I've driven had some lag, I can't detect any with this engine.

Then, it sounds good which is very much not the case with all turbo-charged cars. I know the intake sound generator is a love it or hate it thing, I love it. It sounds rorty, eager and naughty. Just like an Alfa should.

Although it can drink like a fish in city driving I am often amazed how economical the car is on long trips at or around the legal limit. Especially considering the level of performance available. What also stands out for me is the effortless way this car covers long distances. We are blessed with excellent, open, quiet roads in this country and plenty of space to be naughty without ending up in jail. The way the car can sit at highly illegal speeds the whole day without breaking a sweat is very impressive.

I travel a lot and drive lots of different cars on those trips and maybe that's a good thing. Every time I get back behind the wheel of my GQV I'm reminded what a fantastic engine and gearbox combination this is. Love it, love it, love it!

Cheers.

Chris

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just wondering what turbo charged cars you have had previous experience with? All the later models past year 2000 in my opinion were very rev happy. To my knowledge torque has alot to do with how fast an engine can rev up. Small NA engines with less low down torque tends to be more hesitant to rev up quickly.

I have to agree the sound intake resonator does add character to the GQV TCT, but it does somehow seem a little artificial or off timed. I personally would have preferred some of the exhaust note to be leaked into the cabin. When not accelerating hard, some reviewer mentioned the engine sounded like an angry sewing machine. After reading that, and listening to my engine, I had to agree, it does sound like a sewing machine, and when accelerating harder, it sounds like an angry sewing machine. That being said, the performance does not disappoint, and I enjoy the engine sound track.

The TCT gearbox is silky smooth in auto modes for day to day use, but when used in manual and "D" it is a different beast. What I wish though is that the paddle shifters would respond quicker to my gear change commands. I am not sure if Alfa deliberately retarded the gear change response, but it is much slower than the Maserati's paddle shifters in the ZF 8 speed automatic slush box I have experience driving. Wonder is there a way to hack the ECU to fix this?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I never knew 'till today you can use the paddleshifts in auto mode, I thought you had to tap the gear lever over to engage them, it has made driving a lot easier if you want to give a bit of oomph but want to change up early.

Mine sounds better than an angry sewing machine, quite a deep growl (to my ears anyway) :yes:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Just wondering what turbo charged cars you have had previous experience with? All the later models past year 2000 in my opinion were very rev happy. To my knowledge torque has alot to do with how fast an engine can rev up. Small NA engines with less low down torque tends to be more hesitant to rev up quickly.

I have to agree the sound intake resonator does add character to the GQV TCT, but it does somehow seem a little artificial or off timed. I personally would have preferred some of the exhaust note to be leaked into the cabin. When not accelerating hard, some reviewer mentioned the engine sounded like an angry sewing machine. After reading that, and listening to my engine, I had to agree, it does sound like a sewing machine, and when accelerating harder, it sounds like an angry sewing machine. That being said, the performance does not disappoint, and I enjoy the engine sound track.

The TCT gearbox is silky smooth in auto modes for day to day use, but when used in manual and "D" it is a different beast. What I wish though is that the paddle shifters would respond quicker to my gear change commands. I am not sure if Alfa deliberately retarded the gear change response, but it is much slower than the Maserati's paddle shifters in the ZF 8 speed automatic slush box I have experience driving. Wonder is there a way to hack the ECU to fix this?
I think the box has the wrong gear preselected when you use the paddles. The zf doesn't preselect like that so doesn't have the issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the box has the wrong gear preselected when you use the paddles. The zf doesn't preselect like that so doesn't have the issue.
not sure why though. Say I am in second, and click the paddle to go to third, there will be a quarter to half second delay before the actual change. On the ZF auto the change feels more instantaneous.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I never knew 'till today you can use the paddleshifts in auto mode, I thought you had to tap the gear lever over to engage them, it has made driving a lot easier if you want to give a bit of oomph but want to change up early.

Mine sounds better than an angry sewing machine, quite a deep growl (to my ears anyway) :yes:
yes being able to manual override auto mode using paddles is a nice feature. Alot of car manufacturers also do similar.

Looks like a nice day outside. May have to take my angry sewing machine for a spin in"D"

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I think the TBi wins the award for being the most under-appreciated engine (excluding of course the large V6 and V8s and whatever that are also forgotten about, but I mean more practical, 'saleable' engines).

I've said it before and I'll always say it. This engine should have been included in the final 147/GT revision.

Imagine a 1750 TBi 147 :D.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I don't sew so I don't know what it sounds like when the machines get angry. But if it sounds anything as good as my car I'll take up sewing!

·
Registered
777 Posts
In, D, in the mid range, put your foot down and it's more of a howl, imho.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I sold my tuned GQV 5 months ago. Ill be in the market for a new turbo hatch towards the end of the year...on my list was 2013 Audi RS3, 2014 S3 Sportback...but now Im slowly but surely starting to envisage another Giulietta...a better one.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
Also in my head again Lance, do you know when the facelifts are coming? Has anyone driven both the previous GQV TCT and the new G-Veloce to compare?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I sold my tuned GQV 5 months ago. Ill be in the market for a new turbo hatch towards the end of the year...on my list was 2013 Audi RS3, 2014 S3 Sportback...but now Im slowly but surely starting to envisage another Giulietta...a better one.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk
If you go for one of the Audi's all I can say is good luck! Get ready for brittle plastics as the car ages, reliability issues, lots of rattles and at least one warning light on at any given time. From plenty of first hand experience.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you go for one of the Audi's all I can say is good luck! Get ready for brittle plastics as the car ages, reliability issues, lots of rattles and at least one warning light on at any given time. From plenty of first hand experience.
My 2002 A3 has been in the workshop for nearly a month now. Tachometer died, and the auto electrician tried to repair it. A replacement new Tach would cost $$$$. Now the mechanic is trying to find a second hand one from the wreckers....

Also with regards to electrical faults, at random my A3 will activate the interior courtesy lights and they will flash on and off. I have also had the hazard light circuit replaced as the indicators stopped working. Long live Audi lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also in my head again Lance, do you know when the facelifts are coming? Has anyone driven both the previous GQV TCT and the new G-Veloce to compare?
Would imagine no new facelifts will be coming soon for the Giulietta as not to pull attention away from the very awesome Giulia.

Based on the specs on paper the G-veloce engine spec is identical to the older GQV spec. What is quite different is the U Connect entertainment system. Apart from that I see some cosmetic exterior differences headlamp cluster, front air dam, new Alfa logo, and new Giulietta fonts.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Don't forget the boredom.... ;)

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
If I was buying a new Turbo hatch I would be looking at the latest Focus ST, or Renaultsport Megane.

Preferrably with a manual gearbox.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts