Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I am thinking of something like the 147 Supersport?
They will need spacers to avoid looking lost in the arches.
So budget for a set of four 15mm hubcentric spacers.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although very nice. They are not the ones I'm thinking of, I may have the type wrong. It was the three hole wheel (Pic from Italia Auto Parts). Regarding spacers, would they be needed just for appearance purposes?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
the wheels will appear lost inside the arches without spacers and you will have slightly less road holding as your track will be narrower, possible be the only spider owner on these wheels through ( for obvious reasons)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the wheels will appear lost inside the arches without spacers and you will have slightly less road holding as your track will be narrower, possible be the only spider owner on these wheels through ( for obvious reasons)
I am still at the research stage, so haven't committed to anything yet. May not even change from the stock 16' wheels!. However I do want to at least try the car on different wheels to see if the ride is any different.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have supersports on my spider but you do need spacers otherwise they rub on the springpans. Wheel size doesn't really effect handling or comfort it's the size of tyre that you can fit that's more important. The higher the sidewall, the more comfortable the ride but because they deform more when cornering you lose some handling. On a road car this isn't a problem. I would rather have a comfy ride than think I wish I could go round that corner faster. I use 215/50/17 michelins. They rub very slightly on full lock so when they are worn out I will try some 205/50/17

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
the track affects road holding and handling........................narrower track and it will be different around corners

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
the track affects road holding and handling........................narrower track and it will be different around corners
quite possibly. But you would only notice it when comparing lap times or if you drove like the end of a bell on the road. as I said you need to fit spacers anyway to stop rubbing and these will correct the offset and bring it back to standard.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have supersports on my spider but you do need spacers otherwise they rub on the springpans. Wheel size doesn't really effect handling or comfort it's the size of tyre that you can fit that's more important. The higher the sidewall, the more comfortable the ride but because they deform more when cornering you lose some handling. On a road car this isn't a problem. I would rather have a comfy ride than think I wish I could go round that corner faster. I use 215/50/17 michelins. They rub very slightly on full lock so when they are worn out I will try some 205/50/17
Never used spacers before, so am still trying to understand it;
If I've got the right figures here, standard wheel 16x6.5j has an offset of 30.5. The ones I was looking at 17x7j with an offset of 40.5. Would a 10mm spacer make them right for the car? as I assume the 17" 30.5 teledials are a straight fit.

If your supersports are 7j wouldn't a 205 be a bit stretched?.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If I've got the right figures here, standard wheel 16x6.5j has an offset of 30.5. The ones I was looking at 17x7j with an offset of 40.5. Would a 10mm spacer make them right for the car?
In theory yes.
BUT a 10mm spacer will not be strong enough at the hubcentric point, which is why I said 15mm.
15mm spacers will also allow you to use the original 38mm GTV/Spider bolts.

Reactions: faffer

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If I've got the right figures here, standard wheel 16x6.5j has an offset of 30.5. The ones I was looking at 17x7j with an offset of 40.5. Would a 10mm spacer make them right for the car? as I assume the 17" 30.5 teledials are a straight fit.

If your supersports are 7j wouldn't a 205 be a bit stretched?.
10 mm spacers would correct the offset to make the track standard but apparently 10 mm hub centric spacers have issues. I have universal type spacers just cos I had them anyway. They are a bit of a faff to centralise and line up so I would get some 15 mm hub centric ones.
205 or 215 are the ideal size for 7J wheels.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
10 mm spacers would correct the offset to make the track standard but apparently 10 mm hub centric spacers have issues. I have universal type spacers just cos I had them anyway. They are a bit of a faff to centralise and line up so I would get some 15 mm hub centric ones.
205 or 215 are the ideal size for 7J wheels.
I would have thought it was more like 215 or 225, you live and learn.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In theory yes.
BUT a 10mm spacer will not be strong enough at the hubcentric point, which is why I said 15mm.
15mm spacers will also allow you to use the original 38mm GTV/Spider bolts.
Good now it is making some sense. Am I looking in the right places at the spacer pricing, 40 (ish) each?

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
What size spacers are you on? Factory size for the Supersports was 215/45/17, so they shouldn't rub assuming your spacers have put the wheels in the right place.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts