Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Does anyone know it the standard Multispoke 17" wheels on a 09 Plate 159 Lusso are painted or Polished.

Unfortunately one of mine needs refurbishing (My fault):cry: and a question has been raised if they are painted or polished. Look polished but will bow to more knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
"Standard" Multispokes are painted and lacquered I believe but the official wheel on MY2008 Lussos was actually described as the "Diamond Flat" wheel which had a machined and satin polished face with lacquer protection. The clue is in the name - if you have Diamond flats, the face of the spoke is errrrm...... flat. Not sure which was fitted to an 09 plate. Have you a pic?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hi Daniel - yes those are "Diamond Flats" which as you have already suggested are I think polished and lacquered. They are at least far more "metallic" than normal multispokes. A good wheel repairer should still bring them up like new though. Until MY2008 the Diamond Flat was a £350 option wheel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Don't know if they were an option or not as I brought it second Hand!

Only query I now have is I have noticed the Tyres are 225/45R17 not 225/50R17. As this car was only 2 years old 30K when I bought it and had been a lease car previously I doubt the owner had changed the Tyre size even if he had changed all 4 tyres but they aren't the standard size. Any idea why someone would want the 5% lower profile so bad?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The wheels would be standard on a Lusso with 09 reg. Presumably he found some cheaper tyres with lower profile? Or he was trying to look cool? Or the tyre depot had a special offer?

The correct spec is 225/50R17 98W

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well looks like I'm going to "Look Cool" untill the tyres need replacing as they are currently all in good nick with lots of tread (Checked when I bought it it had good tyres. Never expected them to be the wrong profile). Interestingly they are different makes front and rear so had obviously got through 2 sets of fronts and one set of rears in 30K.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Oh well looks like I'm going to "Look Cool" untill the tyres need replacing as they are currently all in good nick with lots of tread (Checked when I bought it it had good tyres. Never expected them to be the wrong profile). Interestingly they are different makes front and rear so had obviously got through 2 sets of fronts and one set of rears in 30K.
The difference in profile makes a 3.4% difference to your speedometer and it will read faster than road speed. Might be worth checking the speedo against a GPS system.
In the meantime you will have slightly sharper handling and slightly harder ride from the lower profile tyres.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had already checked the speedo against GPS and at 70 its only overreading by 3-4 MPH so I can live with that.

Coming from a Renault Megane the handling of a Tractor would have felt Sharp!!!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts