Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I've had my 159 a few months now. It's got he 18" horse shoe alloys on and they look ace. I've been told that if I swap them for 17" then the ride will improve quite a bit.

Has anyone on here got any experience of this? The cheaper tyres also makes this an attractive proposition.

Cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just swapped from my 17" to 18". It makes difference. But is it really that firm?
Nah, not that firm. It's a bit jumpy when the road surface isn't great. Just wanted to find out if there was a dramatic difference. I'm rather sedate with my driving so anything to add to comfort levels would be considered!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm sure you get some comfort back... But I don't know if you will be statisfied by using 17's. Maybe you have a harder compound tire or a higher level of psi in it? Have you used the right sizes (235 / 45 / 18), or maybe a XL (sidewall) variant?

I had on my 17" Bridgestone, but they were completely weared down. On my set 18", I've also used Bridgestone, but they are new (I know, $$$). The ride is almost as comfortable as with the 17". I inflated them to 2.8 bar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the right size and pressure. Got potenzas on which are XL. Aren't they supposed to have XL on?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there.
I have my beauty on 17s. I honestly think that they are the best. They look good and the ride comfort is superb. I know some people with the 18s and for one the ride is firmer and the tyre wear is signifigant. I also know some people with the 19s and tyre wear is crazy(10 -12K) at most out of a set. I know when your next to a Ti with the 19s and yours has the 17s its very obvious that the 19s look better but tell me how often do you see a Ti with 19s on? Its hardly never. Its the beauty of driving a more exclusive car. So stick with the 17s, they look great and you get much more kms/miles out of them. For me ive done 50K on my tyres.

G

·
0 Posts
Cheers for that. Some good info.

Can you get the horse shoes in a 17"?
Nah...all the 17's tend to be multispokes on a 159. In my opinion you have the best looking Alfa alloys out there and I've owned 159's with both 17's and 18's and didn't notice any difference myself

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got 17" ace 205 Hyper black twin 5 spoke on mine, sorry would put a picture up but ain't got a clue how to :) I think they look great as they look bigger than standard wheels but same comfort, wheelbase sell them if u want to have a look at them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah...all the 17's tend to be multispokes on a 159. In my opinion you have the best looking Alfa alloys out there and I've owned 159's with both 17's and 18's and didn't notice any difference myself
Poo. They are lovely looking wheels.

With this apparent difference of opinion on wheel size affecting the ride I'm wondering if tyre brand has something in it? I've got a khumo sitting in the garage and was going to get another 3 when the bridgestones need replacing. Might wait until then and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So. I've had my 159 a few months now. It's got he 18" horse shoe alloys on and they look ace. I've been told that if I swap them for 17" then the ride will improve quite a bit.

Has anyone on here got any experience of this? The cheaper tyres also makes this an attractive proposition.

Cheers.
Dan, If you want to get rid of the 18" inch horse shoes then I would be interested.
Mine is on 17" wheels and the ride is definately better but those horeshoes do look good!

·
Registered
219 Posts
i bought mine with 18´´ and a set of 16´´, took 18 out and I am using 16 with 215/55 tires. what a difference...
really confortable, and lower gas usage ... the tires are half the price last 40000kms (on 18´´ lasted 20000), less noises inside, and breaks better do to less centrifugal forces . problems: bends more when cornering, the car has less clearence to ground. And doesn´t look as nice. I kept the 18 ´´ if I decide to sell the car. Why not buy a set of cheap 16´´ and keep the 18´´ if you decide to sell it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cheers xeno and joomoo.

Which ones have you got xeno?
I've just got the standard Lusso 17" Multispokes. I didnt like them much at first and was keen to change them but I dont mind them now. They look much better when you see the car moving than when its stationary. The tyres being cheaper is a bonus too!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Cheers.
Dan, If you want to get rid of the 18" inch horse shoes then I would be interested.
Mine is on 17" wheels and the ride is definately better but those horeshoes do look good!
id also be interested in a swap. i have the 17'' multispoke lusso wheels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers guys. Think I might buy a set of 17"s and try them out first then sell whichever ones I don't want.

Ta anyway

1 - 19 of 19 Posts