Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

What are the benefits of using 17" wheels versus 16" ( other than looks )?

Any downsides?

Thanks all. :)

·
Registered
26,130 Posts
Normally, I'd say less rubber/more alloy = less unsprung weight meaning better handling.
I'm a moron, and I don't feel a huge difference in day-to-day use; slightly harsher ride but then we've got great roads here in Holland. I think on a track, however, when pushing to limits, then yeah - 17's should be "better".

With smaller wheels, as the sidewalls are higher to compensate, the feel will also be different on cornering.

17's look way :cool: too :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I fitted 17's, harsher ride and more road noise, until I went for better tyres, looks so much better though.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I went from 16" alloys on my 159 to 18" and found very little difference in ride quality and comfort, but a big difference in road holding and handling. But I think the 159 suspension set up is a little more forgiving in this respect. The difference between 16" and 18" on a car such as the GT is big in every respect! The suspension seems to transmit far more of the road to the cabin, making for a crashier ride.
Possible 17"s might me a decent inbetween point?

Would like to try some on my GT, see the difference.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Love the look of 17"s on my GT that came with the car though I do feel 16"s would have given a slightly better ride. The car is great on smooth roads and motorways but when it gets a bit patchy you know about it.
No where near as bad as my Dad's original Mini but the Spider is better.

G

·
0 Posts
Nobody has really answered your question with the downsides so here goes:

Ask yourself these questions:
Why would Alfa Romeo, a company that is proud of the fact that it makes driver's cars to be driven and spend a fortune on handling at the expense of reliability of suspension components (which we all know too well about), actually fit 16" alloy wheels as an upgrade on the Veloce models?

Why not go to 17" alloys like most other marques did at the time? It by far a more common size after all!

There is a good reason for everything Alfa did when it came to suspension, wheels and brakes....
Take a good look at the forum, go on.... Do a search for "17" alloy wheel issues" and you will soon see the shear amount of posts relating to harsheness, buckles etc.

Now do the same search for 16" alloys and do the math:thumbs:

17" and above belong on a lovely smooth track where you Will see the benefits...

On British roads and the state that they are in? Well expect to be changing them on a regular basis. "False economy" for the sake of what? Looks!
How many times do you drive behind an Audi only to see them skew across the road in order to avoid the next pothole shattering their lovely standard 18" alloys? I see it all the time and yes.... I do smile and mutter "what a c*ck".... Is that what you want?
Then there is the extra wear and tear on already "on the limit" suspension components... the sheer force of an unforgiving pot hole will make a top bush give up the ghost a hell of a lot quicker... so now you have simply compounded the whole problem even further and wish that you had gone for 18" alloys instead as the handling isn't what you expected????
Thats what many owners simply don't understand! get the basics right first.... Your tyre foot print and security of suspension components is all you have between success and failure on the next bend!
So they automatically blame it on the standard alloy wheel instead! Or even worse... the shocks and springs too!

Lets face it... When are you ever going to see the benefit when 95% of the time it's bad roads, traffic, pedestrians, juctions, traffic lights etc... And...... When you do get the chance to open the taps and let the beasty do it's stuff, the 16" alloy is more than up to the task:D

Been there , done that , got the T-shirt.... And what have I learned?:rolleyes:
Well... it's simple... Save the money you were going to spend on alloys and tyres, get the standard suspension bits, brakes etc changed and in tip top condition and invest in good quality rubber and you know what....?:wow:
You will find that you can put a standard Alfa in top condition against any 17" alloy shod Alfa with crappy Wan'Li tyres (because the owner skimped after spending so much on diamond cut alloys) on the bends and show it the way home... They will be in the next ditch and wonder how that happened anyway?:cheese:

Sounds like a rant doesn't it? But it's honestly not, just sound advice as I have tried them all and seen the failures that insue!

Does one inch really make a difference to anyone's life? Ask the missus if it bothers you that much!: :lol:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Actually an extra inch makes all the difference.......... Does your misses make eye contact with you when she says otherwise.Ive driven plenty of 147s with 16" or 17" wheels the larger look far better and you cant tell the difference in harshness, perhaps thats why the larger wheels always fetch good money here on classifieds or on ebay.Lets not forget the supersport alloys were 17".

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Got standard 17's on my 147 and have driven my mates on 15's and got to say the difference in handling is quite significant, mine is much tighter around bends and just feels sharper, as for the comfort side, mine are a bit crashier over bad surfaces but not so as to make it uncomfortable and I would trade the handling for the odd bit of discomfort now and again, gotta say though I agree with the previous comment about avoiding potholes, I do that too just in case!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Normally, I'd say less rubber/more alloy = less unsprung weight meaning better handling.
I'm a moron, and I don't feel a huge difference in day-to-day use; slightly harsher ride but then we've got great roads here in Holland. I think on a track, however, when pushing to limits, then yeah - 17's should be "better".

With smaller wheels, as the sidewalls are higher to compensate, the feel will also be different on cornering.

17's look way :cool: too :)
unless they are lightweight........ they have an effect on braking as well ..more weight on nearer outer circumference
another thing i have found ..when on limit 16's have a better feel as side wall flexes as opposed to lower profiles break away quicker on their limit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts