Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, it's been a while. Maybe 12 years?!
So having sat for many years, my 33-based Minari 1.7 16V is finally getting the attention it deserves. I'm in the middle of changing the belts, water pump, all the coolant hoses, plumbing in a custom heater (original seized terminally), oh and changing the left-side exhaust cam oil seals.
In the course of which I've found the thermostat housing is failing. The join between the two halves is cracked and splitting open. Looking around for a replacement they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Except for an Italian seller on ebay who wants crazy money.
I wondered about repairing it, with some kind of clamp to hold the halves together, but not sure that will be easy, or effective. So next idea is to replace it with a unit from something else.
Looking at stats for Rover 75/MG ZT, also Land Rovers: P38 and Freelander. Will need to join the hoses from the left and right banks externally, before they feed into the housing, and in the case of the Freelander it doesn't have a heater outlet either, so that would also be external plumbing. My main concern though is that all of these units sit in the bottom hose flow, whereas the 33 stat sits in the top hose flow. Which in turn means the flow will be backwards, compared their intended use. I don't think this will be a problem, but I'm not 100% sure!
So has anybody else done any of the above? Looking for all and any advice I can get on this!
Many thanks in advance
Joolz

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I searched for housings for various other engines but couldnt find anything suitable. however, I did remember my old renault5 turbo had an inline/ in hose type thermostat, the Quinton hazell part number is QTH205, opens at 86c is 43.5mm diameter and 37mm tall. Dont know off hand top hose dia of alfa but maybe very close .
Hope that helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the partnumber for me?
I can get it, but first I'm going to try something I found on another forum - split the original, tidy up the edges and clamp the two halves back together, using a 72mm V profile 2-piece exhaust clamp. So I will see how that goes before I put you to any further trouble. Many thanks for responding though, much appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts