Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been lurking here for a while and i'd just like to say this is a great source of info.

OK I bought my car about 6 weeks ago and its been running like a dream untill this morning. I started it and straight away there was a knocking niose, i think coming from the left cyl.bank. It was fine last time i drove the car a couple of days ago.
Also It was running for a few minutes and sprayed black watery crap out of the exhaust for about 2 metres(see pic)It has never been this bad before, usually pretty dry.

Do any of you know what it could be or where I should start looking?

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Hi Tas !!!

there is nothing to worry about !

water from your exhaust comes from humity in the exhaust system and engine ! Its quite normal and you should be happy to see water coming out of your exhausts !
Its a sign of a healthy engine :thumbs:

As for the knoking noise, that is your hydraulic tappets ! Your oil has either gone too thin or its not good quality.
Change your oil and take it for a short trip. They should stop knocking :)

Oh and by the way. That 2 meter range of water sprayed by your exhaust, shows that you have been reving up the car while it was cold :tut:
Never do that in an Alfa !!! They dont like this treatment :tut:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey supercharged,

the oil is castrol gtx (20w40 i think) and was only changed about 4 weeks ago, is castrol not good enough?

As for the water, I only gave it a little squirt, no more than 3000revs, is that stil too much?

Anyway thanks for your help

Tas16_v

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's all ok. I just took the car for a drive, after it got up to running temp. the niose was gone.
I guess I'm just paraniod something is going to go wrong.

Thanks for your help Supercharged

Tas16_v

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
It's all ok. I just took the car for a drive, after it got up to running temp. the niose was gone.
I guess I'm just paraniod something is going to go wrong.

Thanks for your help Supercharged

Tas16_v
The noise will come back when the car is cold in the morning.

I never liked Castrol oil. I tried the Castrol RS in my 16v a long time ago. I didnt like the way the engine sounded. In our temeratures its recommended to put 10w40 oil, semisynthetic.

I'm now using SELENIA RACING and very very happy with it. A bit expensive though :rolleyes:

As for reving up, its better if you just start the car up, make sure the battery lamp goes off and let it idle for a couple of mins before reving it up :thumbs:

·
Registered
932 Posts
i would preferably use mineral based not semi or fully synthetic(synthetic runs very thin when hot and is no good at high revs), the boxer engine was originally designed back in the 70's way before synthetic oil's were used in motoring, I'd stick to what the manufacturer recommended at the time your car was new or modern day equivalent. Perhaps use a thicker oil 20-50w if your engine is a high mileage/kilometer one.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I do like the Castrol RS 10w-60 oil. IMO Selenia is a over priced oil that dosn't do a better job than Castrol and Agrip. As far as I know Selenia is owned by Fiat so of course they would recomand that brand.
Personally I would never use a mineral based oil. Maybe if a had a old type 105 model with the original engine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oils

If remember correctly the recommended oil for the boxer engine was AGIP sint 2000 10w 50 which I think was/is a blended mineral/synthetic oil (like magnetec then but 25 years earlier)..

I use Motul 300v 15w/50 fully synthetic ester oil as recommended to me by Opie Oils (Oilman in classified ads) for trackday use (and as formerly used in the Prodrive WRC Subaru boxer motors). Never had any problems with low oil pressure, knocking or tappety noises with this stuff.

I too would never use mineral oils as they break down too quickly under hard use.

Cheers,

Adam

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
It all gets down to what temperatures there are where you live and what use you have your car for !!!

Cyprus has extremely hot temperatures but I mostly use my car in the evenings when its cooler.

I agree with Ian that its an old design engine but dont forget that it was also designed for Super leaded fuel and we can only get unleaded here in Cyprus for the past 5 or 6 years.

Also I change my oil every 5000 khms or 6 months, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help guys. I changed the oil yesterday to Valvoline Synguard 10w40 and its sounding heaps better. I can't belive how much difference it made. It may just be me but I swear it runs smoother and revs better than it did.

Tas16_v

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Its not you, it does run smoother !
Valvoline is a very good oil :thumbs:

Just have in mind that oil change is very important , especially on these engines !

Also, just a tip, dont change oil type and make everytime you do an oil change !
If you decided to go with the Valvoline, use the same everytime !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts