Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
16v engine and carb conversion manifolds, price drop!!

im keeping the carbs so ill let the engine and manifolds go for £250 for a quick sale...

as far as i know these 16v manifolds are no longer avaliable and cost me £140!!

col

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im interested in the 16v crossmember,does it have any crack and is it possible to ship to malta(europe)?thanks a lot
after making enquiries about sending parts to europe, am pretty sure itd be very expensive to send such a large item to malta! at least £60 id say!

are 16v bits hard to get hold of in malta?

col

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
130 bhp mate ?
from a 16v on 40's carbs ?

... isnt that a bit low ?
The 16v alone with the standard throttle bodies produces more than 135 bhp. Let alone doing the carb conversion as well :confused:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you dont get as much air going through carb chokes as youd do the manifolds on the 16v, using carbs would give better low end torque as the air would go in at a hell of a rate but for all out bhp the injection system is a better set up as theres much more air flow at high revs... maybe im wrong?

reading some of the threads on here of people getting 150/160bhp from standard 16v's using carbs is a bit optimistic id say... iv always thought putting carbs on would slightly decrease bhp...

its not that i have personal knowledge of this super, but a friend of mine has a fully loaded 1.8 16v running on 48mm delortoes and hes been told by his tuner that the only way to get more power would be to convert to injection!

this guys just about knows everything there is to know about building boxer engines, its just the advice hes given me over the years mate...

its running at 200bhp... its a 1.8 16v converted from hydraulic tappets to mechanical, running on a 1.2 box!! it was in one of the mags years ago, not sure if it was max power or something!

col

·
Registered
870 Posts
you dont get as much air going through carb chokes as youd do the manifolds on the 16v, using carbs would give better low end torque as the air would go in at a hell of a rate but for all out bhp the injection system is a better set up as theres much more air flow at high revs... maybe im wrong?

reading some of the threads on here of people getting 150/160bhp from standard 16v's using carbs is a bit optimistic id say... iv always thought putting carbs on would slightly decrease bhp...

its not that i have personal knowledge of this super, but a friend of mine has a fully loaded 1.8 16v running on 48mm delortoes and hes been told by his tuner that the only way to get more power would be to convert to injection!

this guys just about knows everything there is to know about building boxer engines, its just the advice hes given me over the years mate...

its running at 200bhp... its a 1.8 16v converted from hydraulic tappets to mechanical, running on a 1.2 box!! it was in one of the mags years ago, not sure if it was max power or something!

col
nothing a set of 44mm carb's wont fix :lol:

·
Registered
870 Posts
sorry mate just noticed the 48mm carb bit .... yeah when ya that far gone it needs injectors .. maybe even 8 of them, the old cossies used to have and injector in the inlet port and one in the plenum , pointing toward the inlet port .. some race engines i have seen actually sit the injector out side the intake trumpet !

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah camm youd need plenty of fuel going in so as not to lean out! so what do you think of claims that people are getting hugh horse power out of standard 16v by just converting to carbs? doesnt make sense to me... i understand them being torquey, just not high hp... by putting carbs on your restricting airflow into the cylinders, and high hp is all about air flow!

col

K

·
0 Posts
maybe even 8 of them, the old cossies used to have and injector in the inlet port and one in the plenum , pointing toward the inlet port .. some race engines i have seen actually sit the injector out side the intake trumpet !
like this :cool:

adies engine , taken in 2007 at cadwell :inlove:
just love the detail on it

·
Registered
870 Posts
yep thats the one !!!

umm power output 16v on carbs ... well the 137ish bhp was with injection and 40mm throttle bodies, but all via the factory plenum / airflow meter..... also it would have left the factory with mapping that was a fair compromise between power / mpg / service life......

the 40mm carbs are the same throat size as the throttle body.. BUT .. the choke is of course smaller....mine have 30mm - better for the low end road use side of things...

its a funny one mate, you can argue it either way,... im going to get mine rolling road tuned / re-jetted,... so will see what the power is like. i would hope its at least 137bhp, if not then the carbs are the wrong thing to do - - or i did something very wrong when rebuilding the engine,,, im fingers crossed for 140 ish with the mild head work and megajolt ignition ?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good luck with it mate, when you speak to someone like wayne bell you realise how hard it is to get those few extra horses on a working mans budget! am happy with 8v i dont need anything faster really, mine runs on twin 40's with 34mm chokes by the way...

·
Registered
870 Posts
yeah i know what you mean, i used to be a lot more involved in tuning when i was in the motor trade, i would speak to lots of people who could all the power you wanted from an engine... thy never seemed to deliver it on the rollers tho ..... "wrong fuel you know" ..... "rollers are wrong you know" ...... "to hot today you know" ...."to wet today you know".... "dodgy spark plugs you know"

whats the BHP on yours? also is than an emerald ECM in you cockpit sir ??

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mines running about 150 at the moment but with a better designed exhaust dave says its capable of 159... its an omex mapping system kamm!!! wayne works closely with dave young when hes building an engine, dave tunes them on his rolling road and guarentees his rollers are calibrated exactly (waynes latest build is 164bhp) iv heard stories of guys going to reputable engine builders with tails of 170/180bhp from an 8v... get them on daves rollers and they come out with 140/145/150 etc

there aint many 8v's out there with more than 160, what else can you do to get 10 and 20 extra horses???

seems not all rollers are calibrated the same and some people get a shock!!!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dave young, hes down leister way, really well regarded engine builder, he built mine fitted the omex and tuned it... wayne told me hes spent hundreds of hours chopping and changing exhaust manifold to get the best hp... wayne was on about getting a copy of what he came up with! if i dont sell mine ill get one to...thats after iv put the trofeo kit on it....

iv got his number if you want it!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts