Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

yes it's another cam variator question! Blithely ignoring the collective groan from the masses:
My 2.0 16v, having done 170.000km, has developed the dreaded diesel-engine noise. I was just wondering if it's possible to replace the variator myself, or does the job require too many special alfa-tools? And what is the procedure? I have several manuals (the dutch "Vraagbaak") for the 155 and 156, checked the 164 and 145/6 versions, and none of them mention the procedure for removing/replacing the cam variator, so I'm in the dark here. Does anybody out there have a manual that explains the procedure?I would deeply appreciate if someone would send me scan of the relevant pages. Or a fax. Or a scribble on the back of an old envelope.

One more thing: in the previous threads on this subject I came across the post mentioning the AR service bulletin explaining how to overhaul the variator in the 145/6, GTV/Spider, 156 and 166. It also shows how you can tell from the engine number whether the variator can be overhauled, or has to be replaced or replaced complete with the camshaft. Does anybody know whether these engine numbers also apply to the engines in the 155? The engine in my car is nr.0143773.

Any help/advice will be much appreciated!

Jaap
'95 2.0TS 16v

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is not a DIY job, special tools are needed, one to lock the camshaft(?) and I think you need to accurately find TDC but not sure, Jimybob will confirm this.

There is a thread on alfaowner.com about this very thing and the answer seems to be dont even think about it!!!

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the 8v it easy.but with the 16v you need to lock the cams and find true TDC with a DTI gauge.however you can make locking tools by using large grips or any thing that will firmly hold both cams and stop them from moving it sounds crude but when you think about it as long as nothing moves when you have the belt off you shouldnt have a problem ,i use this method when doing timing belts on cars where i dont have the tools after all we cant have every tool for every car can we.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one more thing if any body ever does a timing belt or similar and your not sure if the timings right turn the engine over by hand three times first that way if the valve timing is out the engine lock and you will feel it,if you just crank it over with out checking first thats when you bend valves.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've seen the camshaft locking caps for sale - it's only about 60GBP. It's only required for the 16V engine because otherwise it would be impossible to time the engine up due to the movement in the variator.

A supplier for the locking caps was mentioned in the Practical Mechanic article on 16V engine rebuilds. If you want the number, buy the mag! No, give us a shout and I'll pass the number on to you.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took my car around to my local dealer (Sam van Lingen of Savali-fame). The mechanic had a listen to my 'diesel', and told me it might well be a tappet, but he couldn't be certain so it would have to be taken apart to replace either the faulty tappet or the cam variator.
But, since the car has done almost 170k km, he suggested doing the variator, waterpump, belts, etc. all in one go at 180k. Because, so he claimed, the tensioners and idler wheels of the cam belt and balanceshaft belt needed replacing at 60,000km intervals anyway! eek! Well, at 170k I can see the sense in doing the waterpump at the same time as the variator, but I thought that having had the whole lot replaced just over a year/50k ago, meant that I wouldn't need new tensioners etc for a long time.

- So now I'm wondering, should I replace the tensioners and idlers? There's nothing in the manual for the 156 16V about this.
- I'm thinking of getting the special camshaft timing tool (locking caps) and doing it all myself, as it's not a very difficult job. But, do I need the special tensioning tools for the two belts or can I make do with general tools?
- Rich, you mention an article in Practical Mechanic on 16V rebuilds. Is this on 16V engines in general or on the alfa 16V engines? Where do I get a backissue? The mag is not available in Holland... And yes, I would be interested in the supplier of the locking caps, so please pretty please? wink

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you are doing the belt do the tensioner as well.im not sure i would mess with the water pump if it aint broke dont fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts