Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Just been fitting my vernier cam wheels this afternoon and decided to check the standard cam timing to see where I was starting from.
Bit of a shock to see just how far out the standard cam wheels are. The inlets were 6 degrees different between the two banks and the exhausts were 9 degrees different! Before anyone quips, yes, the cam timing marks on the pulleys were all correct!
Does anyone know the opening timing of the valves please? (I work in degrees BTDC for the inlets and degrees ATDC for the exhaust valves)
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Mark,
I can´t tell you something about the standard cams. But I never set the timing using degrees of open or closed valves. What if the hydros do not close correctly or valve clearance is not correct (by using mech. tappets)? I set cam timing by measuring the valve lift at TDC in overlap with a gauge on the tappets. For me the best way to go..

best regards

K

·
0 Posts
is that from a 33 manual lib and not a 145 one?

can you look up the big end torque settings please if so, i just need to clear up once and for all what they should be.

some discrepancies between the 33 and 145 on autodata :confused:

K

·
0 Posts
brilliant, thanks for that mate, and the links :thumbs:

there must be a difference between the bolts on the 145 & 33 boxer 1.7 engine as the 145 has a setting of 53 - 58Nm.

glad to now have the definitive answer :thumbs:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kammatic.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that there was so much difference between timing of the inlet lobes. I am a bit concerned that I may have measured two different types of lobe.
Ali, I did think about the hydraulic lifters but as there was virtually no 'clearance' on any of the valves I checked, I decided that the lifters must have been pumped up properly.
Have you fitted your adjustable wheels yet. I am surprised that on a standard engine, there is no touching of valves/piston even at the limits of the adjustment available.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ali, I did think about the hydraulic lifters but as there was virtually no 'clearance' on any of the valves I checked, I decided that the lifters must have been pumped up properly.
Have you fitted your adjustable wheels yet. I am surprised that on a standard engine, there is no touching of valves/piston even at the limits of the adjustment available.
Cheers,
Mark
No, my engine is still in pieces..
New crank, new pistons, a new block and cams are here, but I´m waiting for new con rods.

Mark, I do not know the valve lift from standard cams in TDC at overlap, but I supppose it´s less than 2 mm..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts